Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Creole Stomp by Bubba Brown

He's giant player, as far as I can see and hear.
What a sound.
And a very good view on the accordion too.
Thanks for sharing this.
I think he's saying something like part1, part2 .... and the last time bring it at home ??

Hello folks. I'm here to fill you in about the video of me performing "Creole Stomp". A friend of mine came over Saturday and brought two of his "classic" German-made accordions. One was a "Sterling" in the key of "C" on which I performed two songs. One was "Walker Special" and the other was "Creole Stomp". The other accordion he brought was a "Globe" brand accordion in the key of "D" on which I performed "Lacassine Special". So many of you have watched my video of " Creole Stomp" and I have been getting some good response from it and lots of positive feedback. So many of you have questions about what I did in the video and I have answers. I divided the tune into 5 parts. You hear me start playing the tune... that's the first part. Then you hear me say "second part", then you hear me say "third part", then you hear me say "fourth part", then you hear me say "fifth part", then finally you hear me say "Bring it home!!!" That means I'm ending the tune on the first part. You start and end with the first part and put all the others in between. I did this as sort of a lesson. Let me tell you a little about myself. I was born right here in Winnie, Texas on October, 5th 1977 and I am now 34 years old. I'll be 35 this coming October. I have been playing the accordion since I was 8 years old on Christmas morning 1985 on the living room sofa. I'm sure you have read what Chris Miller said about the story he heard at the Hall Of Fame induction. Well, I'm here to confirm that story. This IS a true story. Chris and I were both inducted into the CFMA (Cajun French Music Association) Lake Charles Chapter's Hall Of Fame in 2010 along with the late Felton LeJeune and so many others. In September of 2010, Chris and I were invited to a benefit in Vidor, TX and he brought his red "Starling" accordion. As many of you know, I was very excited because as I told Chris, there were only 12 made. Two well known Cajun Legends actually played "Starlings". They were Shorty LeBlanc and Nathan Abshire. Nathan played a "Starling from the mid '60's until the end of his career. Most of his latter-day recordings from 1965 to 1978 were played on that very "Starling" accordion. The accordion I'm talking about went through some changes in appearence. You can see what it originally looked like on the cover of the Nathan Abshire CD "French Blues". Then you can see what it looked like in the end on the cover of another Nathan Abshire CD entitled "A Cajun Legend-The Best Of Nathan Abshire". According to Randy Falcon, it was Sidney Brown who added the additional tape and rhinestone decorations. The outer corner plates were also added. I read a reply from someone wondering if I was related to Sidney Brown or Nathan Abshire. Well, unfortunately, I'm not related to either one of the two but I do appreciate the compliment. Nathan Abshire, like Iry LeJeune, is one of my heroes and when Chris brought his "Starling" accordion that day, all I wanted to do was play Nathan's music. I've always wanted to play a "Starling and I thank Chris for the opportunity. Chris filmed me backstage playing "Shamrock", a tune that Nathan Abshire recorded in the late '60's. I really enjoyed the experrience. That video got about 593 views since then. If any of you are in the Texas City area for the next several Saturdays, I'll be playing there along with my band, The Super Cajuns. We play at a place called "The Reef Seafood Company" in Texas City and we play from 6PM to 9PM and I invite each and every one of you co come on out. Thanks to John Orr for coming over to my house and filming the three videos and to Chris Miller for filming the "Shamrock" video. and once more, thanks to John Orr for the use of his "classic" "Sterling" and "Globe accordions and to Chris Miller again for the use of his "Starling" accordion. I hope to be hearing from everyone soon. Thanks and God Bless. Bubba Brown

Couldn't help but to bring this post back! I just discovered this "Bubba Brown-Creole Stomp" video on youtube the other day. Good news! To those of you that didn't know...you can slow the video down by going to the settings tool at the bottom and click on the slowest speed. (But you have to go to the actual Youtube video to be able to do it.) It takes a little playing with the settings over and over, but it can be done.

Here is the one of those quintessential Cajun songs done in such a way that Pandora's box was open and all kinds of accordion playing secrets spilled out. You master this song the way Bubba plays it in this video, and you master 4 of the hardest turns known to Cajun accordion playing. Bubba, there is no way you had approval from the Royal Cajun Builderburg Society to give away so many secrets in one setting. Jesus Christ man!

Couldn't get it to load from your link, so here it is embedded (I assume this is the right video):

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!