Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Surely

Bryan 'Choppy' Lafleur - I kinda like it.

Re: Surely

That's great stuff to learn the song.
Thanks for posting and taking time to explain.

Re: Surely

Sounds good .. and what about Chris "Smoothie" Miller?

Re: Another lesson my our dear Chris Miller

Thanks, Nick...you are giving a lot on here too!

Happy to do it while I have a bit of time...hopefully there may be something there that helps someone.

I didn't post it because I thought Bryan was "choppy" and I was "smoothie" but because he expressed dissatisfaction with his efforts on a song and I have been toying with posting some vids on technique rather than just songs. (the choppy and smoothie comments were fun!--just was trying to clarify my purpose)

If y'all are interested in technique type things let me know and even better if there are specific areas where there are questions...

Good thing about being called "choppy", is I'll be expected to play that way. Whew, that's a load off.

The part on octaves was good. When I'm learning a song by ear from a recording it's not always easy to know when and when not to use them. Also chords are some times hard to make out.

For me, "smoothness" is more than anything else the result of good timing, and this is, I think, essential in Cajun music.
Playing in time becomes much harder when you constantly play octaves, because you have to change hand position all the time.
Every time you play a single button on a CA you are actually playing a double octave : every one has four reeds!
Playing octaves is nice, because you get a fuller sound, but playing in a flow is IMHO even nicer. And the expressive effect of an octave vanishes if you use it all the time.
Is this bullsh*t or makes it sense?

Makes perfect sense. Thanks. I think part of the fun is trying to figure out where to put them.

Bryan, will you change the name of this thread? It sounds gay.

Have you ever really listened to your voice mail greeting?

Ooooh! Touche! I should know better than try to red-ass a fireman . . .

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!