Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: External mike

W,

More specifically, to answer your question, "yes" a '58
will work.

But you'll have to do some serious fudging to mount it.

--bn

One thing to add, the Shure SM48 is an even better choice.
Why? because, 1. it is cheaper and 2. your don't need to use an impedance matching transformer with it like you do with the SM58.

I have had to fix the mic on two local accordionists because the little transformer broke loose.

DP

You could call Junior Martin and ask him how he does it. He makes a great snap-on Shure-based mic system. He might even take your Shure mic and be able to use it in the manufacturing process. Ask him.
JB

I have one of those snap-on style somewhat old-school Shure mic cartrdidges. It came with a Larry Miller C accordion I got in the mid-90s. I replaced it with a clip-on gooseneck mic, more easily changed among several accordions, probably around 2000. To my knowledge, it works fine. If anyone is interested in purchasing same, let me know (rwroberts585 [at] gmail [dot] com).

Re: External gooseneck mike

My European correspondant tells me about a gooseneck mic setup he has been using. What does your consist of? I am not electronically astute, by the way...

Russ Roberts
I have one of those snap-on style somewhat old-school Shure mic cartrdidges. It came with a Larry Miller C accordion I got in the mid-90s. I replaced it with a clip-on gooseneck mic, more easily changed among several accordions, probably around 2000. To my knowledge, it works fine. If anyone is interested in purchasing same, let me know (rwroberts585 [at] gmail [dot] com).

Yes Mr. Big, I checked your site, It has been useful.

"snap-on Shure-based mic system" now that sound good.

I`m not in the U.S. so, maybe I`ll send Mr. Martin an email.

Thanks,

W.

Hi Wilfred,

I have an SM58 setup. I could never understand why it was fine as a vocal mic, but on the accordion ( always playing through other people's p.a. ) I could never hear it in the monitors or the speakers. Until I read Big Nick's FAQs and all was revealed.

Thanks Big - I'm deeply grateful for that info.

Like the man says, Wifred, stick a pre-amp in there and Bob's your uncle. I was so impressed, in fact, that I took a new ( eighty quid! ) SM58 I had, took a very deep breath and attacked it with a 5" angle grinder, to extract the gizmo from inside the goo ( silicon? ) and made a replica.

If you can wait til Saulieu (not long now) I'll show you in greater detail.

It's worth the effort and you get that nice old fashioned appearance as a bonus.

See you in Saulieu - get the beer in!

BJ

Hi B.J.

I can wait, Saulieu isn`t that long away.

See you there,

W.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!