Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Break the thumb strap habit for triple row.

Dwight, lose the thumb strap on the triple row! You don't need it - it will only slow you down and get in the way.

Also, if you get distortion when you sing loud, that is probably an indication that the gain is too high for that channel. Does your board have a little light for each channel that shows when you are clipping? You need to set the gain so that when you are singing as loud as you need to sing, that it only lights up a little bit, now and then. If it is on a lot, the gain is too high. If it is never on, the gain is too low.

Aside from that, there is a second way to get clipping on a channel. It can happen when the master volume is set relatively low, and the channel volume is higher. For example, on a scale of 0 to 10, the master volume is set to 2 or 3, but the channel volume is higher than that, say at 7 or 8. In general, the master volume needs to be set at a higher level than the channel volume.

Re: Break the thumb strap habit for triple row.

Triple row does not have a thumb strap. And I'm used to playing with one. So, songs where I jump down to the 7/10 buttons, etc, are prone to error. So far. One I wrote on my double row (with thumb strap), is prone to error when I jump to the top of the box, when I don't have a thumb strap. It will just take time and practice. Or just learning new songs for the triple row and slowly incorporating the others. However, some songs aren't for the triple row, so.....

Regarding the distortion, I do set it to where it just clips, then back it off. I think the problem is, when I'm testing, the full band is not playing, so I'm not singing as loud as I would be with the band. I have no gauge. I do have a tendency to sing loud, guess I have strong lungs, but sometimes I get a little over-exhilarated and overdo it. Particularly when I'm trying to hear myself.

I'll check the other thing you mentioned.

Re: Break the thumb strap habit for triple row.

also if you free the thumb, you can use it

piano and chromatic players do it

i don;t

most of the time i use mr strap

wle

you could set it at home, and mark it

"Regarding the distortion, I do set it to where it just clips, then back it off. I think the problem is, when I'm testing, the full band is not playing, so I'm not singing as loud as I would be with the band. "

==ok well set it for shouting, there is no reason to have it ever clip..

==one other comment, this setting would always be the same for a given channel, board and mic

-==you could set it at home, and mark it -
there is no need to set it every time, it's just one more thing to worry about at setup time, and you don;t really have to

==just put the mic close to your mouth, sing as hard as you can, turn gain up til red light comes on, mark it

wle

you can actually do this for the whole band

you can actually do this for the whole band if they always use the same mic, position, board channel..

i always know where to set my singers gains, because i do keep all that stuff the same

drum mics and guitar amp mics vary though
since i don;t control guitar amp knobs or exact mic placement

and i may not place drum mics in same spot every time

and i am never sure where the GE7 output is set, so i have to set the accordion gain every time, or if it seems wrong

but the singers are always set

unless the guitar player says 'i may lose my voice and don;t want to sing loud', then i may reset his initial gain for that.. then he ends up singing loud anyway, so i go dial it back

wle

Is your hat causing feedback?

That is, if you wear a hat.

I've found that, when wearing a hat, the brim can
cause an audio reflection. The monitor sound
bounces off the brim on one's hat and into the
front of the microphone.

It's kind of difficult to explain, but it has happened
to me. It's akin to the technique of partially cupping
one's hand over the microphone to see if you're set
on the edge of feedback.

Maybe someone needs to invent a hat with built-in
GOBO.

--big

learn something every day !

Gobo is a slang term used by sound recording engineers to refer to a movable acoustic isolation panel.

==and i thought i was an acoustics guy
you learn something every day !

wle

Re: Is your hat causing feedback -- hat-trick

Nick, a hat like this one might reflect surrounding monitor sounds towards the floor ...

or with this one they pass right through:

Nout

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!