Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Tremolo

Trem"o"lo : Nothing whatever to do with the rise and fall of volume

From link #3:
"The way that accordions are made to sound different from one another is in the way the remaining set(s) of middle octave reeds are tuned. Typically, they will be tuned a little bit off from the others to get a tremolo effect (a.k.a. a "beat note"). The amount of tremolo (actually the rate of the tremolo) is typically referred to as the amount of "wetness". If all middle octave reed sets are tuned exactly the same (no offset), the accordion is said to have "dry" tuning. In that case, no tremolo is heard."

Here is a 4th link from the "melodeon-net" web site

http://info.melodeon.net/index.php/page,voices_tunings.html

Perhaps Trem"e"lo has somethng to do with volume.

Tremolo, From Wikipedia

"tremelo" is just mis-spelled

==
Tremelo
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to be confused with the musical term Tremolo.
==

Tremolo
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tremolo (Italian pronunciation: [ˈtreːmolo]), or tremolando ([tremoˈlando]), is a musical term that describes various trembling effects, falling roughly into two types. The first is a rapid reiteration

of a single note, particularly used on bowed string instruments and plucked strings such as harp, where it is called bisbigliando (Italian pronunciation: [bizbiʎˈʎando]) or "whispering".
between two notes or chords in alternation, an imitation (not to be confused with a trill) of the preceding that is more common on keyboard instruments. Mallet instruments such as the marimba are capable of either method.
a roll on any percussion instrument, whether tuned or untuned.

A second type of tremolo is a variation in amplitude,

as produced on organs by tremulants;
using electronic effects in guitar amplifiers and effects pedals which rapidly turn the volume of a signal up and down, creating a "shuddering" effect;
an imitation of the same by strings in which pulsations are taken in the same bow direction;
a vocal technique involving a wide or slow vibrato, not to be confused with the trillo or "Monteverdi trill".

Some electric guitars use a (somewhat misnamed) device called a "tremolo arm" or "whammy bar" that allows a performer to lower or raise the pitch of a note or chord or apply a vibrato. This non-standard use of the term "tremolo" refers to pitch rather than amplitude.

==

if accordion makers want to call wetness 'tremelo' or 'tremolo', that is their business

but no one else in music will know what they are talking about

wle

Re: Tremolo, From Wikipedia

Larry,

You're dead wrong.

As much as you try to justify your definition of tremolo, it's incorrect.

We are talking about accordeons and "free reeds".
Tremolo on an accordeon is not a fluctuation in volume. It is the interplay of two other wise identical reeds tuned to a variance in pitches.

Go to melodeon net and pose (post) the question:

"Is tremolo a fluctuation in volume?"

If you don;t want to, I'll do it. I'll post the responses.

If that really was the case, you would not need a second reed to create a "tremolo"

A degree of wetness, is in fact a degree of tremolo and vice versa. Assuming we are speaking of accordeon reeds.

Re: Tremolo, From Wikipedia

enjoy
wle

Re: Old style tuning

Bohemian, you're right, wet tuning is an expert's job. Heard some awfully sounding wetties, and only just recently one wet tuned Martin sounding great, probably done by Jr. himself. PS are you going to Saulieu? - Nout

I'd really like to go to Salieu and have planned it before, and one more time..unable to go

However, it is on the bucket list and I intend to go next year.

TREMOLO = WET (not VOLUME)

Larry- I'm willing to stake my left nut on it. Tremolo is absolutely wetness.

While we're at it, I'll stake my right nut on the fact that taller buttons create a louder accordion than one with shorter buttons. And yes, it will use more air.

Re: TREMOLO = WET (not VOLUME)

This thread has gone 'nuts'! Ba-dum-dum.....

talk to a singer or guitarist about it

great
talk to a singer or guitarist about it
then you have to explain wetness
they will have no idea what that is
wle

Re: talk to a singer or guitarist about it

I have been playin g guitar since 1961, I have owned well over 100 guitars, currently only 6.

I understand dry and wet and tremolo.

Tremolo is NOT in any way shape or form a fluctuation in amplitutede.

My wife is a skilled violinist of 50 some odd years. She was first chair, concert mistress of a well known symphony. Tremolo according to her has absolutely
N O T H I N G to do with a fluctation in amplitude.

tremolo is a broader term than wetness

just saying

tremolo is a much broader term than wetness

it applies when there is only one source of sound, and there is no possibility of wetness

wetness only applies to instruments that can make more than one sound at time..

which isn;t violins, voices, clarinets..

wle

Re: tremolo is a broader term than wetness

"tremolo is a much broader term than wetness"

Correctamundo.. and has zip all to do with a fluctuation in amplitude.

Go to djangobooks.com the Gypsy Jazz web site mostlky devoted to the Selmer Maccaferri Guitar and clones.. and playing etc.
put "wet" or "wetness" into the search ...
let me know what you find..

Could we stop with the childish ******* contest about the definition of tremolo and get back to answering the original question?

Music: Tremolo
l a:the rapid reinteration of a musical tone or of alternation tones, usually a third or more apart, to produce a tremulous effect.

So,IMHO, you play tremolo, you dont tune for it.

Interesting but erroneous when describing tremolo in an accordeon.

It is not childish to have a mutual agreement on a word or term in order to have an intelligent conversation.

Tremolo is at the heart of accordeons.

Tremolo is NOT a fluctuation in volume in an accordeon.

Oh please. You and Larry hijacked the thread to argue back and forth. It was neither a mutual agreement nor intelligent conversation.

"hijacking" is changing the subject.

You were talking about tremolo. The topic remained tremolo.
I explained my theory of the evolution of the "Cajun" sound ergo from "wet" (tremolo) tuning to a drier tuning. ( limited or no tremolo)

I cannot account for ,or take responsibility, for misinformation or sidetracking from others.

I noticed in Bubba Brown's Creole Stomp video that he played a Sterling with the #3 stop down. Hohners have a wet reed set in that position, and to play it dry you just close that register.

If that is the case with Sterlings, Monarchs, and other old German boxes, then you had wetness on demand. The result would be tuning as varied as the song versions to suit the mood of the day.

Excellent observation.

And when boxes went out of tune...so much so it was difficult to determine a "base"...
the second set of middle reeds , over time< were often tuned to match the "440" set.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!