Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: tremolo is a broader term than wetness

"tremolo is a much broader term than wetness"

Correctamundo.. and has zip all to do with a fluctuation in amplitude.

Go to djangobooks.com the Gypsy Jazz web site mostlky devoted to the Selmer Maccaferri Guitar and clones.. and playing etc.
put "wet" or "wetness" into the search ...
let me know what you find..

Could we stop with the childish ******* contest about the definition of tremolo and get back to answering the original question?

Music: Tremolo
l a:the rapid reinteration of a musical tone or of alternation tones, usually a third or more apart, to produce a tremulous effect.

So,IMHO, you play tremolo, you dont tune for it.

Interesting but erroneous when describing tremolo in an accordeon.

It is not childish to have a mutual agreement on a word or term in order to have an intelligent conversation.

Tremolo is at the heart of accordeons.

Tremolo is NOT a fluctuation in volume in an accordeon.

Oh please. You and Larry hijacked the thread to argue back and forth. It was neither a mutual agreement nor intelligent conversation.

"hijacking" is changing the subject.

You were talking about tremolo. The topic remained tremolo.
I explained my theory of the evolution of the "Cajun" sound ergo from "wet" (tremolo) tuning to a drier tuning. ( limited or no tremolo)

I cannot account for ,or take responsibility, for misinformation or sidetracking from others.

Re: Old style tuning

I noticed in Bubba Brown's Creole Stomp video that he played a Sterling with the #3 stop down. Hohners have a wet reed set in that position, and to play it dry you just close that register.

If that is the case with Sterlings, Monarchs, and other old German boxes, then you had wetness on demand. The result would be tuning as varied as the song versions to suit the mood of the day.

Re: Old style tuning

Excellent observation.

And when boxes went out of tune...so much so it was difficult to determine a "base"...
the second set of middle reeds , over time< were often tuned to match the "440" set.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!