Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Key of D exclusively?

I owuld venture that 80% of the Irish and Quebec accordeon music is in the key of "D".
Long list of players of both styles that play in D the majority of the time.

I pretty much agree with what Bohemian said and wanted to add some detail.

-- Most one-row players in Quebec use a D box as their primary box.
-- MOST tunes in the repertoire in Quebec are playable on these D boxes. In other words, the majority of tunes are either in D major or related keys (such as B minor), or in A or G and related keys, playable on the D box by substituting notes.

--So a really expert player will be able to sit in a session of random tunes chosen by fiddlers and be able to play most of the time -- just sitting out for a few oddball tunes in keys that aren't really playable on the D box. That said, in the total repertoire, the number of tunes in G major and related keys is definitely higher, and many of those tunes take a high level of skill to play on a D box.

-- My experience with Irish music is more limited but there have been statistical studies, and I know that G tunes (and related modes) predominate. I once went through the entire Ceol Rince collection (a huge collection of Irish tunes in sheet music) and noted which tunes would be playable on a D box -- it is a very high number, including many tunes in G that lack the C natural! -- but again, many many tunes contain a C natural, or a G#.

It's not just the note substitution that is involved in the skill, by the way, it is also the way that the feel of the instrument changes completely when playing in G-related modes. A-related modes are a bit easier.

A lot of players have a second one-row box in C or, less predominantly, in A. This is mostly for solo play because the players prefer the "plus douce" sound as Mr. Messervier once told me. Other players have a three-row as their second box, usually G/C/F and less predominantly A/D/G. And in some areas the three-row boxes are the players' "first" box.

I should clarify that my question pertains to Cajun music and accordionists only.

That's fine Don, I was only responding to Bohemian's post.

Alan Bradbury of Cajun Magnolia, based out of RI, plays in D to accommodate the female singers. I saw them a while back and they are excellent. Everything is pretty much in D.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!