Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
H on Hohner reeds

I had a very old G Hohner that had 'H' stamped on the reeds, and it was an HA114. That thing sounded so, so much better than any other Hohner I've had (and the rest had the 'T' reeds), including another G hohner I acquired later on.

Unfortunately I ended up destroying that old Hohner playing it's last leg

Re: 'T' on Hohner reeds

The (T) stands for the region in Germany where they were made. (Trossingen, Germany) This was discussed in another thread earlier.

There were no Tupelo reeds. Just a name Charlie and a few others gave them because at the time no one knew what the T meant.

Perhaps true, wouldn't be that surprising. But mention "Tupelo" to a Louisiana builder and they will directly relate them to Hohner reeds with a "T" on them. It may not be what it stands for but that's what many people down here still call those reeds. Nobody calls them after that German region even if that's right. So if you tell someone down here that you are looking for "Trossingen" reeds most are gonna say they've never heard of that. Right or wrong-just the way it is down here. Say "Tupelo" if you get a blank stare after asking for "Trossingen".

So are those "old" Hohner blue steel reeds still available? If not, how do the guys with broken Monarch reeds use them as replacements?

But Don was asking the significance of the "T". After seeing this debate here and other places, I wonder now if it is like the "who shot Kennedy" question. Lot's of speculation not sure who knows for sure. I've talked to Hohner parts folks on the phone but can never remember to ask them.

But for those who think the T signifies older reeds, I have a set of brand new Hohner reeds that are T stamped. And the C 114 Don is referring do looks like a newer model, at least not very old.

Significance to me--they are the brand of Hohner reeds after the blue steel kind model was discontinued...they are the "modern Hohner" reed used by Cajun builders (if any will still use a Hohner reed, it would be this one). They seemed to come available in 60s (guessing here). They seem to still be readily available and have the same basic sound of the earlier "T" brand. But NOT the same as "H". Just trying to answer the original question better.

Was just clairfying a point concerning that little T

I used to have a book giving the complete history of the Hohner Company but it drowned. Perhaps, for those interested, it may still be available on Amazon.com. It was written in German and with the (little) I knew and the help of friends it made some pretty interesting reading. Many, Many pics dating way back.

Not to throw any more gas on the fire but I have an old 4 stop Hohner made in the early 30's that has blue steel reeds in it with the letter T stamped on each of the reeds. Makes me wonder when Hohner actually changed over from H to T.

John

No, I think that it's great that you mentioned that. I said I was guessing about how long the T reeds have been around. This is how we all learn. The main thing I've learned so far is that calling the reeds with "T" tupelo is a southwest Louisiana phenomenon. Also that there are two types of Hohner reeds in meodeons/accordions. These two types have different tonal qualities. One can distinguish between them by looking at the metal composition. And now I've just learned that there are some of the earlier models of blue steel that are stamped with a "T". And I've also learned that the "T" probably refers to "Trossingen."

I love learning all this stuff!

"Tup0elo" means nothing with respect to Hohner reeds
to anyone outside of the finite "VCajun" accordeon world.
"T" reeds to all else means Trossingen... the town in which they were made. The "H" reeds awere also made in Trossingen... but made on site at the Hohenr plant; also in Trossingen.

The switch for H to T reeds was around the end of WWII. If you have an earlier (pre WWII) Hohner with "T" reeds, they have been switched out.
I have original, unmodified, Hohners from around 1946 to early 50's with combinations of H and T reeds.
Some have all H reeds in the Trebles and H and T in the BAss... dsome with H in the Treble and H in the bass.. and some with H in the treble and T in the bass...
You will also find blond fingerboards on black boxes and vice versa....
They used a mix of pre WWII and post WWII parts.. whatever they could get.
There were some other reeds used in Hohners and other German/Saxon/ Bohemian/ and Czech accordeons..
These reeds are still made in the Czech Republic and the new "darling" of retro box makers.

Thanks for sharing all that. Still learning! Who makes the Czech reeds. Do they sound like the H reeds?

Is (John) Elton Doucet still building accordions?

yes I am still building accordiona.Elton

Re: Elton Doucet doesn't make accordions

He handcrafts nice beautiful accordions.

Oui, C'est vrai.

Yes I still make accordion I am making one for a guy in Hawaii I mail the all over the world.

Mr Elton, what do you say about them HA-114 Hohner reeds? Are you familiar with the term "Tupelo"? Does that mean "sweet" reeds as in Tupelo Honey? I've talked to a few accordion builders in south louisiana, and many of them have put Hohner reeds into their own accordions and for the occasional customer. Almost as if them Benci's just don't quite cut it for that old sweet traditional sound of the good ole days. Any comments on this to shed some light on the mystery of how do we get that sound we're looking for from an accordion builder? Most people feel they know the sound they would like, but can't explain it, and hardly ever get it on the first accordion they buy. Me personally, after getting it wrong on my first 3 accordions and about $3000 dollars later, I just say, make my accordion sound exactly like Iry Lejeunes's and here....use these Hohner ha-114 reeds to do it with.

The reeds from German accordions seem to have a certain sound that many of us like, whether the Sterling reeds or Hohner. Different from each other, but distinctive from Italian made reeds. I have a Weltmeister that sounds very close to my Sterling, even though it probably has cheap Chinese made reeds. The main thing the new Italian reeds have over most other reeds is response and volume, but even there, I've heard old German reeds that come close in both regards. But I've never heard a box with Italian reeds have that tone that old German (or new) reeds had.

I've wondered how much the zinc plates of the old reeds affects tone. Some say the reed metal itself. Been lots of debate on this, but always ends up at opinion/speculation.

One sound of the old boxes I really love is the sound of the bass side, especially the chord reeds, on those big plates with all the chord reeds mounted to one plate.

Excellent observation. I'll back that up. The question begs to be answered again. When and Who brought "Italian" reeds to the Cajun accordion? Marc Savoy? I think players went head over heals for the Binci and the Salpa because makers were forcing them on us, but it could have been a mistake to trust their sound fully for the purist back porch player. Every Louisiana Made Accordion with Hohner reeds that I have ever played got my attention on the first note. Those accordions literally sing to the heart and soul. Might be the vibration?! Might be that German race perfection thing too.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!