Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hohner 114 versus Gabanelli

I'm with TJ on this, and I'll even go so far as to add that Hohner reeds sound a lot better than Gab reeds.

Re: Hohner 114 versus Gabanelli

I've not played a Gab so I can't say..but I do have an older HA114b(all black model, cajun tuned) that sounds just great. If you live near any store with a Gabanelli and an HA114, try them both out and get the one that sounds and feels right for you.

I prefer the Hohner 114

My first box was a Hohner 114. I prefer it over the Gabby.

Re: Hohner 114 versus Gabbanelli

While I prefer the sound of a vintage HA-114 over the Gabbanelli, I do not like thee sound of the new ones. As for playability, I have always been a fan of the Gabbanelli. They approximate the size, look and feel of a Handbuilt Cajun accordion. The Gabbanelli isn't shipped with the same tuning as is preferred for Cajun music, but that can be remedied by most accordion builders for around $50. Some say they aren't very loud, but that can be said for some of the builders that I know.

I have owned about 2 dozen HA 114's, 113's and 112's...

Find a used German made HA 114,the older, the better.
Any Hohner will benefit form re-tuning.. they are sloppy new and way too wet and tuned equal tempered..
you want "just" tuning.. which some call "CAjun" tuning.

The HA11B had a slighty more re enforced bellows and was a drier tuning.. but stock not "Cajun" tuned..
12 TET.

I have owned 2 of the Gabb Cajun Kings and played many others..

They are "Cajun" in looks only and that's where it stops. It is fairly well made but not on par with other Italian made Accordeons... Cheap machine reeds.. and the reed blocks are nothing like a "Cajun" box... it is a "Cajun" box for profilers.
It can be retuned and be serviceable.

Used in excellent condition can be had for around $500-600.

I would buy a Hohner HA 114 long before I would own another Cajun King by Gabb..
JohnGabbanelli compertes on E - Bay with his own dealers by undercutting their prices..
Also if you buy a Gabb you will have to deal with Joh Gabbanelli.. good luck.

If you buy a Hohner you ae dealing with a professional company,

I have owned over 30 Hohners in 18 years and have never broken a spring or a reed.

Get a German Made HA114... pad the keyboard and have it retuned... You can get them modestly priced and will rarely lose money when you sell.

As to "upgrading" to a hand made "Cajun" box.. that is a matter of opinion.
Lots of great music has been made on Hohners.

There is a you tube video with a Cajun made box fitted with Hohner reeds and retuned..(Doucet)
blindfolded I would defy anyone to identify the reeds..

I will suggest that Hohner boxes and Hohner reeds will become the "flavor of the day" to those who wish to be "in and hip"...and in touch with tradition.

For me, they have always been "in" and a first choice for me for every day playing.
Cheap, light, fast, fun, repairable at a modest cost, good resale.
I currently own and play a late 60's HA113 in A and a 50's HA 112 in A.

Go Hohner

I have been making handmade accordion since the 1960 when I started I could could only get Hohner reeds and bellow. Hohner makes best sounding Reeds but they break very easy that is why I use Itialian Reeds.

Elton,
Do you have a set of corner hardware in the color white?

Ganey,

If Elton doesn't give Larry Miller a call. His grandson Blake has an accordion he made with white metal corners. I'd be willing to bet he might have more sitting around somewhere.

John

Ganey, I have enough material to make you a set.Let me know

John,

Comment ca va ?

I agree !
Hohner does make the best sounding reeds.. and it is largely a matter of tuning.
In nearly 20 years and over 2 dozen Hohners, I have never broken a reed. Never.

Monsieur Doucet makes an excellent traditional accordeon.

Hohner reeds are great

I love me some Hohner treble side reeds too. The Hohner bass note reeds on the bass side of any accordion, are complete garbage.... at least the large bass note. It's a piece of donkey dung.

I own that Doucet accordion you mentioned Bohemian, it is definitely a great box. The Hohner reeds are so loud in that thing, it's louder than most accordions. Always a pleasure taking it downtown.

I put Salpas in the bass side, because both the bass and the chord sound much much better than the Hohner bass side, and respond much better.

Re: Hohner reeds are great

Hi Jim,

That is one fine accordeon and you did a fantastic job tuning it.

Your playing is some of the best I've heard.

Post some more !

Re: Hohner reeds are great

thanks man, that's a kind thing to say

Hey Bohemian, Don't know if you're still out there, but I'd LOVE to find an HA-113, preferably in C. Know of any?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!