Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Clip on condenser mics

Well,

In my experience the ATM350 is more robust, both in cable design and the actual mic element itself is twice as big. I think the ATM350 has a bit flatter response than the Pro 35 and isn't quite as edgy (bright/treble-y) I find that the 350 tends to resist feedback a bit more than the Pro 35 for high volume applications.

I guess it really boils down to how much you plan on using it. If I were only using a mic a few times a year for gigs I'd go with the Pro 35, no questions asked. Just be extra careful of the wire because it is on the thin side. If I were gigging on a regular basis and needed something a little more roadworthy and sound crew friendly I'd go with the ATM350.

John

John D.
Well,

In my experience the ATM350 is more robust, both in cable design and the actual mic element itself is twice as big. I think the ATM350 has a bit flatter response than the Pro 35 and isn't quite as edgy (bright/treble-y) I find that the 350 tends to resist feedback a bit more than the Pro 35 for high volume applications.

I guess it really boils down to how much you plan on using it. If I were only using a mic a few times a year for gigs I'd go with the Pro 35, no questions asked. Just be extra careful of the wire because it is on the thin side. If I were gigging on a regular basis and needed something a little more roadworthy and sound crew friendly I'd go with the ATM350.

John

Thank you!

Big Nick
This is my favorite: Audio Technica ATM350.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/71d870fb398e6978/index.html

It easily clips to the bellows-lock-strap.

In one performance, I had accidentally stepped on the mic cord and pulled the
mic apart. I thought I had ruined it until I discovered that the small mic
capsule pulls out of the windscreen. So, it can simply be pushed back together :-)

Cons? I don't like the length of the cord. If one uses a standard mic cord as
an extension, you wind up stepping on the two interconnected cannon connectors
which can cause nasty pops & crackles since the unit is phantom powered.

I can't believe that these goombah's list "Accordion" as the first choice
of application .. and then miss spell accordion as "accordian"!

--Big

These China copycats are just as good as the Audio Technicas, maybe the XLR connectors are of a bit tougher-fit than Neutriks etc, it costs around 70 dollars, the included DI works on phantom, has a low cut filter, and contains a AA battery slot for alternative power ..... :

http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_pra383_d.htm

- F

Doing some research and I have a few more questions.

I understand the ATM-350 and ATM-350cW are the exact same mic except with different connectors. The ATM-350 which cost abt $279 can only be used wired but the ATM-350cW which cost abt $189 can be used wireless and wired (with purchase of an AT wireless system for $100 or the purchase of the AT8539 adapter for $100). Either way my total would be $279 for the ATM-350 or $289 for the ATM-350cW (includes purchase of $100 accessory).

I have no idea why the ATM-350cw is $90 bucks cheaper than the ATM-350... So, unless I'm missing something it seems like a no-brainer to go with the ATM-350cW because I can buy either the AT wireless system for $100 or the wired adapter for $100, either way I have options with the the ATM-350cW as opposed to only wired with the ATM-350.

Am I missing something? Agree/disagree, pros/cons?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!