Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Time in SW Louisiana

Sounds awesome and similar like our adventures in LA.
We had such good times at the Begnaud House.
Last year with the band and a year earlier with my wife.
See link#2

Don, thanks for sharing your LA vacation with us. sounds like a great time, wish I was there!

Okay, yes I was seated next to you. You were telling me how the Duson Waltz and the Big Boy Waltz were similar but different keys. By the way what are the most popular keys played for those two in SW Louisiana? I play the basic version of the Duson Waltz like Briggs Brown does on his CD. I did notice you stating that about two accordions at the same time sounding a little 'off' or chaotic. It is nice to see some of the local youth getting involved in Cajun Music, rather than Rap, Pop, etc.. The young girl playing the accordion was getting a little frustrated with herself, but if she hangs in there, she will get it. I am a relative beginner to the accordion myself, so I know how she feels. Who was the man playing the accordion at the end? Glad to meet you in person, although I didn't know who you were. lol

Don
Okay, yes I was seated next to you. You were telling me how the Duson Waltz and the Big Boy Waltz were similar but different keys. By the way what are the most popular keys played for those two in SW Louisiana? I play the basic version of the Duson Waltz like Briggs Brown does on his CD. I did notice you stating that about two accordions at the same time sounding a little 'off' or chaotic. It is nice to see some of the local youth getting involved in Cajun Music, rather than Rap, Pop, etc.. The young girl playing the accordion was getting a little frustrated with herself, but if she hangs in there, she will get it. I am a relative beginner to the accordion myself, so I know how she feels. Who was the man playing the accordion at the end? Glad to meet you in person, although I didn't know who you were. lol

The Duson Waltz is played in the key of G on a C box, on a D box I'd be in the key of A. The Big Boy Waltz is played in C on a C box and D on a D box.

If we would have known that you played accordion we sure would have let you join in! As for who was playing at the end, I'm not sure I remember. I ended up leaving early because I had somewhere to go so I may have missed out on seeing whomever you are talking about. If you describe him I can probably tell you. I know Robert Doucet usually comes to that jam and always shows up late. Could have been him...?

Jon: Yep, I googled 'Robert Doucet - Cajun' and sure enough, he popped up. Plays with Fricassee Cajun Band.

Thank you Don for sharing your experience. You are a good writer. Reading about your trip was enjoyable.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!