Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Who can change my accordion from A to G, and what should it cost?

If Larry chooses not to work on it give Jr. Martin a call. He's the best with repairs when it comes to price and turn around time.

John

Hey David,

It's about 500-600 the last one I did. You can sell the old reeds eventually if you keep asking around on forums, etc. I sold a set of D reeds from a Martin box that I switched to G.
Btw, I love my A box. I can sing Bayou Pon Pon, Bonsoir Moreau, and hit high notes like coming into the lyrics of Boozoo's Johnny Billy Goat, etc.
I use my G for Point aux Pin, and among other tunes I do Bobby Blue Bland's "Love Lights" that really is well received. It's nice to do some songs that people recognize and the Dead covered it and made it famous in those circles.

My last repair from Martin wasn't the best. I had a wire replaced from a broken flapper and it is moving around. He told me to put some glue on it, but also the wire had jaw marks from evidently bending it. It was rather expensive with the shipping. Maybe it was an apprentice that did it. Otherwise no complaints with other work he did for me. He is a great guy all around. I would consider him for the reed changeout.

Does the 500- 600 include the price of the reeds and tuning?

yes if you want the best in the buisness to fix your accordion in the way that you want it call Randy Falcon or Rusty Sanner.

Bryan LaFleur. He is an active member of this group who always is willing to give advice on repairs. (I don't see Jr Martin or Randy Falcon posting.). He just recently inspected and repaired the shoddy workmanship on my accordion along with switching out th C reeds for a set of D. He's honest and fair and his craftsmanship is top notch. I was lucky enough to play an accordion he built. Excellent instrument! I'm now saving to order one for myself.

Email or call him. Supprt our "local" builders.

Ken

I agree; A is very useful, especially for bluesy stuff in the key of E, but yeah, it can be a luxury to keep one in A just for that ...

i could do it, around 400$ plus air shipping 2ways to europe, and i'll keep the A set, so statesside jobs are probably cheaper. Probably a LOW G set fits an A sized reedblock fitted Miller without too much hassles in sizes.

Or: a new binci no 1 set in G is around 250 dollars plus shipping costs; i am about to place an order with binci right now; those who need reeds, or some spares at around 9 dollars each, you can still hop on the band wagon ... Nout

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!