Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Used Cajun accordion needed or beginning student

Dream on if you think you can get a good la box for 2000

randy4u
Dream on if you think you can get a good la box for 2000
Bryan LeFleur and Rusty Sanner both make top-quality handmad boxes for under $2000.

May I suggest a Gabbanelli Cajun King. They go for about $1,000 USD. You can get hand mad reeds and even musette tuning if you like. They are usually in stock and will ship within one day. You can call Mike Gabbanelli at 1-800-244-0763 or 713-728-9898. I had one and liked it very much. It was also appraised by the experts at The Button Box and they gave it very high marks. I would suggest starting in the key of C as most of the music is in C. Once you get your box please get Big NIck's instructional DVDs Vol 1. You will be glad you did. Big Nick is an excellent teacher and the DVD is professionally produced. Good luck.

I would have to agree with Dana. The Cajun King is the closest thing I have seen to a handmade Cajun accordion that won't break the bank. Very similar in look, feel and sound. I have played a couple dozen of them, and they are very consistent. If you call them, or email them, and ask for the lowest possible price, I think you could get it for $800.

Roy- a lot of players went through a HA 114 on the way to a LA or TX made box. As mentioned,it won't break the bank, they sound great and will hold their resale value. I have a German made HA-114b (all black)about 17 years old and it's like an old friend.

As for cajun music being played on the humble Hohner HA-114, if you can get a hold of the tutorial DVD 'How To Play Cajun Accordion' by Marc Savoy with Tracy Schwarz, it'll just knock your socks off to see and hear what Marc can do with the HA-114!

I have a Leland Colligan C "Acadiana" that I was going to convert to Bb, but I guess that I would sell it for $1000, plus a little for shipping. It's two years old. email if you are interested or would like pics.

bob

bob c
I have a Leland Colligan C "Acadiana" that I was going to convert to Bb, but I guess that I would sell it for $1000, plus a little for shipping. It's two years old. email if you are interested or would like pics.

bob

Roy, this is what you need right here. I bought I used Acadiana (D) that was about the same age for $1,000 and it was a great purchase. If I were you, I would be getting in touch with Bob C.

Thanks for the info. everyone. I really do appreciate y'alls advice. It's good that there is a community of good folks on here to carry on a wonderful musical tradition. I really hope to be a part of that tradition!

-Roy

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!