Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jam Protocol & Dynamics (good & bad jam experiences)

Bad jam = 3 or 4 accordions or 2 triangles or 20 guitars. I don't mind multiple fiddles, though.

Also, those who use the, "this is dance music, we must play it at a specific tempo". Or the jams that are too arrogant to include any but a specific group of yuppie losers (out of Louisiana people, mostly).

Jim Pettijohn
Bad jam = 3 or 4 accordions or 2 triangles or 20 guitars. I don't mind multiple fiddles, though.

Also, those who use the, "this is dance music, we must play it at a specific tempo". Or the jams that are too arrogant to include any but a specific group of yuppie losers (out of Louisiana people, mostly).

When it come to fiddles, the more the merrier.

One thing I know is that these jams are not about learning the accordion. No one is going to teach you anything. But they are inspiring and its fun to play with a group. Sometimes there are professionals there and if so you are probably not going to be able to play.

Thanks for the input yall. Leslie, interesting idea you mentioned of starting with the worst and leading up to better players...

Re: Question for Hebert

My first reply to you didnt seem to go through.
I learned by wood shedding it, but also by playing low volume on the outside circles of these jam sessions. I always tried to make my accordion sound as close to the lead accordion as possible. My finger licks were seldom exactly like the Master in the lead, but I was making the same sound more or less. After I'd get good at songs, I'd embellish the song and try to make it sound prettier than the lead while at the jam session, but in my own quiet corner.

If you seemed like you were doing good, someone always starts to notice you and they encourage you to go up and try a song or two towards the end of the jam.

But back then, Cajun accordion players were more rare. Not a dime a dozen and spread out all over the US ans Canada like they are today. You had plenty of chances to play back then to take your turn. The players were more authentic I guess. But by no means were they perfect! They lacked one fundamental thing. They would never be able to play or experience the same time line that produced the Masters! The time lines of days gone by.

But one more thing. I think it was much better if you had the time and occassion to attend the same jams over and over again. You know, live close to the jam. In other words, it would be hard for a traveller that has to go 100s or 1000s of miles once a year to attend one jam at some festival in Louisiana or something. Makes it harder for you to become part of the group and be recognized to play. Not being a local makes you sort of an unpredictable Maverick. Cajun's for one, take a while to cozy up to strangers sometimes. Not always, but sometimes. Especially strangers that are attempting to show these Cajuns up at their own game. Just sayin. No offense meant even though it may sound like I am trying to ostricize non Cajuns.

I myself (a Cajun) have given up accordion. Too much trouble in pleasing spectators who will never be able to relate to your choice of art unless they themselves learn to play accordion. And then, the "time line" factor comes into play in this situation too. Cajun musicians....A dieing breed. At least, that's the way I'm starting to see it. Sorry if I have burst your bubble.

Hebert, can you clarify what you mean by the "time line" factor? I don't understand what you mean.

Maz - Acadien du Nord
Hebert, can you clarify what you mean by the "time line" factor? I don't understand what you mean.
I was wondering the same thing. Hebert, can you please elaborate on what you mean by "time line"?

"They would never be able to play (in) or experience the same time line that produced the Masters! The time lines of days gone by."

Whew, to explain that would cause a paradox in the modern day accordion playing time line continuem! LOL

ever play for people who knew hardly anything else besides cajun accordion and or fiddle music? Never heard rock n roll or modern bubble gum country. No, you probably haven't. Ever played for people not at your dance just to get slap drunk and wallow in their own sorrows or criticize the bands playing, or talk and toil about depressive events of the times, but instead were there to gather with friends and family to celebrate innocent life as it was. They had no sensory overload from cell phones, 300 channels of TV programs and false sensational news media hype pulling at their every emotional strings all day every day, their $1 could buy bread, the milk, and the eggs and have change left over, etc, etc. A time line where things were not necessarily easier on the body or person, but more pure, true, and easier on the soul. A time when ideas were new or a musician could turn on the radio and listen to a great new or old song that would inspire a new Cajun song or crazy/happy new licks on the accordion. A time line where just about everything hadn't been done already?

Have you ever played for a child who does nothing but rejoice in your song by staring wide eyed, screaming happily, or just cutting loose and dancing for as long as you are able to play your accordion. If you have, then you experienced a miniscule attribute of the "time lines" of old. Startin to catch muh drift yet?

Hebert
"They would never be able to play (in) or experience the same time line that produced the Masters! The time lines of days gone by."

Whew, to explain that would cause a paradox in the modern day accordion playing time line continuem! LOL

ever play for people who knew hardly anything else besides cajun accordion and or fiddle music? Never heard rock n roll or modern bubble gum country. No, you probably haven't. Ever played for people not at your dance just to get slap drunk and wallow in their own sorrows or criticize the bands playing, or talk and toil about depressive events of the times, but instead were there to gather with friends and family to celebrate innocent life as it was. They had no sensory overload from cell phones, 300 channels of TV programs and false sensational news media hype pulling at their every emotional strings all day every day, their $1 could buy bread, the milk, and the eggs and have change left over, etc, etc. A time line where things were not necessarily easier on the body or person, but more pure, true, and easier on the soul. A time when ideas were new or a musician could turn on the radio and listen to a great new or old song that would inspire a new Cajun song or crazy/happy new licks on the accordion. A time line where just about everything hadn't been done already?

Have you ever played for a child who does nothing but rejoice in your song by staring wide eyed, screaming happily, or just cutting loose and dancing for as long as you are able to play your accordion. If you have, then you experienced a miniscule attribute of the "time lines" of old. Startin to catch muh drift yet?

Yes! Thanks, I appreciate that explanation.

Maz - you raised a good point, not all jam tastes the same. A one-accordion-rule is not a jam, you may as well be in the woodshed, but more like a show-and-tell. Fundamentally you must rely on the kindness of strangers. Though this concept was deployed by Miss Scarlett it's not universally accepted.

I thought that was Blanche Dubois . . .

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!