Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Accordion players take note...

As “qualification” to my following opinion…I have been learning and performing the GERMAN accordion in the “Cajun”/Acadian, Creole/“Zydeco” genre since the mid 1980’s although my main music is Tex Mex/ Norteña music on the Hohner Corona-2.

What I want to say is that EVERY person considering playing this music MUST study Amèdè Ardoin. On my recent study of his existing works I have come to be AMAZED at the guy’s prolific musical genius. His variations in “color” (timbre) and subtle rhythmic accent is beyond what people think of as “simple” folk music. One could spend a lifetime learning the variations of his instrumentals. So my advice is, listen intensely to his stuff. Try to filter out the noise and less than optimum dynamic range of the recording technique. Except for Iry LeJeune, there really is no one else one should try to emulate to get the real artistry of Cajun Music. Joe Falcon is very good for advanced beginners.

Re: Accordion players take note...

Agree Sir! I'll never listen to anything past these fellers anymore, I give up and stick to me ole faddle from now on ..... PS Nick, is this spam again? - Nout.

Nout ..

Nout,

I'm not sure .. I had to read the message a couple of times to get the
drift.

I think he means to say that Iry is the best, emulate him.

I personally think it's a mistake to deny yourself to the world due
to self doubt. None of us will be Iry and Iry will be none of us ..

So, I say, play your instrument and enjoy your life ;-)

--Biggy

Not spam, Nout.
Jacinto is a real person who actually lives here in San Antonio Texas along with meself and about 1.3 million other souls of every imaginable extraction.
Even though I don't know him,yet, we run in the same circles of gifted, talented, and weird people.
I kind of agree with him that Amadee and Iry are two really good role models, at least musically, but I do think that even beginners could learn something from Joe Falcon. I did, thanks to Neal P. and his wonderful site.
JB

Texas, that explains it ! I once was told by a Cajun that this far away place is so big it has two moons. Now imagine what happens when they are both full at the same time .... And sorry for all the mayhem caused; my wife thinks this is my best portrait ever:

Nout

Nout,
Texas is so weird that we think 40 degrees F is cold.
Texas is so weird that it is farther from El Paso to Orange than it is from Amsterdan to Moscow.
Texas is so weird that we have desert on one side and jungle on the other.
Texas is so weird that we have no bland food, like the kind I had to eat in Europe.
Texas is so weird that we drink more beer than Belgins and Aussies.
And when both those moons get full, you better lock up your daughters!
JB

I don't like the statement that one should only try to emulate Iry and Amede or the insinuation that only advanced beginners would have something to gain by listening to Joe Falcon.

John

mmm ... I heard (or read) that Iry Lejeune learned his music by playing Amedé's records over and over again, so there must be a bit of truth in what Jacinto says. If you really want to dig deep, you will end up finally with Ardoin.
I always found Falcon's playing a lot less imaginative and rocking than Amedés, (because less "African") but he hit the nail, so that makes his music very accessible for less advanced players.
I guess that is what Jacinto means, and, if so, I agree!

BTW, Nout, the likeness is striking !!

I think what Jacinto is saying, is that musicians new to cajun music, especially accordion players, should listen exclusively to Iry Legeune and Armede Ardoin. On this point I have to agree. I would also add Nathan Abshire with the Balfa Brothers. When I first started to learn Cajun accordion, I listened to the above artists all the time. For me, this was very beneficial. I then added more traditional Cajun and Creole artists like Alphonse "boi sec" Ardoin and Allie J Young. Listening to these artists shows different styles and how the tunes are played as well as providing a good foundation to learn from.

Agreed with all, but.......you gotta get to AND LEARN the roots. Not an off shoot. but the roots. Tradition is important. Learn the roots, THEN take it in the direction you feel. There's new guys putting their modern twists on the music and that's keeping it fresh and selling "records", as well as, keeping Cadien music more readily accepted by the masses.
Dig deep....J'ai vu la loup, le renard et la belette...

à danser au clair de lune dans le Grand Texas ... avec JB et moi?

Nout

Nout,
That cat and that duck don't look old enough to be you and me.
Cute clip, for sure.
JB

Nout,

That's not the banjo-playing duck is it?

Nedro

Huh?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!