Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Accordion players take note...

I don't like the statement that one should only try to emulate Iry and Amede or the insinuation that only advanced beginners would have something to gain by listening to Joe Falcon.

John

mmm ... I heard (or read) that Iry Lejeune learned his music by playing Amedé's records over and over again, so there must be a bit of truth in what Jacinto says. If you really want to dig deep, you will end up finally with Ardoin.
I always found Falcon's playing a lot less imaginative and rocking than Amedés, (because less "African") but he hit the nail, so that makes his music very accessible for less advanced players.
I guess that is what Jacinto means, and, if so, I agree!

BTW, Nout, the likeness is striking !!

I think what Jacinto is saying, is that musicians new to cajun music, especially accordion players, should listen exclusively to Iry Legeune and Armede Ardoin. On this point I have to agree. I would also add Nathan Abshire with the Balfa Brothers. When I first started to learn Cajun accordion, I listened to the above artists all the time. For me, this was very beneficial. I then added more traditional Cajun and Creole artists like Alphonse "boi sec" Ardoin and Allie J Young. Listening to these artists shows different styles and how the tunes are played as well as providing a good foundation to learn from.

Agreed with all, but.......you gotta get to AND LEARN the roots. Not an off shoot. but the roots. Tradition is important. Learn the roots, THEN take it in the direction you feel. There's new guys putting their modern twists on the music and that's keeping it fresh and selling "records", as well as, keeping Cadien music more readily accepted by the masses.
Dig deep....J'ai vu la loup, le renard et la belette...

à danser au clair de lune dans le Grand Texas ... avec JB et moi?

Nout

Nout,
That cat and that duck don't look old enough to be you and me.
Cute clip, for sure.
JB

Nout,

That's not the banjo-playing duck is it?

Nedro

Huh?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!