Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Irish Jigs and Reels

Would like to play some Irish music on one of my Acadians... What about the tuning for this music? Bryan, or Nout how should i tune this C accordion for this music?
Chuck from Kentucky

Re: Irish Jigs and Reels

I think you could play any jigs ans reels on a C box, just that then the tunes would be in C. Many of the Irish tunes are in D so to be more "authentic" you'd have to have D reeds installed with a non-Cajun, tremolo tuning. I think, though, the more important point is the "feel" and style of playing rather than the instrument itself. I've heard great Quebecois played on a Cajun accordion. The only differeance was the particular tuning of the Cajun instrument.

IMHO it doesn't really matter what kind of box or what key or tuning. It's the style of playing that makes the difference.
I don't have a cajun accordion/melodeon in D, but I enjoy very much playing Irish tunes on my Bon Cajun or my old Hohner, both in C.Check website #1 and other tunes on my catmelodeon channel. If you want to join in with (Irish) sessions you will need a D. So do I!

I play Irish music and yes, you can play Irish tunes on a C box. You can shut off the low and high reeds and play with the two middle reeds. Your box will sound like a concertina which is very acceptable. If you are alone or playing with a guitar or piano then you will be fine. If you want to play in a session then you need a D box. Most Irish tunes are in D and G. Ideal tuning is on the wet side. One piece of advice. When playing Irish tunes, you will need to develop fingering techniques as you will play between two octaves. Fingering is very important especially when going from high notes to low notes. If you know someone who plays Irish accordion, preferably C#D, then try to get some help from them. May I suggest a good simple jig to start with. it is called " Tripping Up The Stairs" and is a standard tune at most sessions. You play the whole thing on four buttons. It starts on the fifth button on a press. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I may give it a go to see how it works out. I have a Bon Cajun in D that Larry Miller just tuned for me....
I was looking for some tunes and ran acrosss a web site accordions4U.com. They sell a number of Irish song books played on button accordion. Anyone familiar with it? It looks like a good way to learn some tunes...
Thanks
Chuck from Kentucky

The old advice (or is it advise?): make sure you know the tune by heart before you start playing it. ( lilt it first!) You will learn it much faster and better! Much better than books. But if you want one, avoid tablature altogether. If you really want notes, I can send you some in my own notation system.
You are lucky to have a D. Never mind the Cajun tuning. There are lots and lots of tunes in D, and lots in A and Em. G tunes are a bit harder to play on the D box. Irish tunes are single note, so in a way easier than Cajun music. Octaves are only played every now and then for accentuation.
The CA type of accordion is called "melodeon"in Ireland. Search for this on Youtube, and you will find lots of "Melodeon music", played on D boxes (mainly Hohners, but also CA boxes). Good melodeon players are Bobby Gardiner, Johnny Connolly and John O'Halloran. An interesting and good player is Gilles Poutoux from France. Also on Youtube.
Good luck!

PS

Also check out John Kimmel (German-American melodeon wizard, oldtimer, played also lots of Irish tunes) and Paul Brock (Irishman I guess), who plays a one row Castagnari.
In the old days, melodeon players were considered a kind of second rate musicians in Ireland, because their music was limited to just those ten buttons and two chords. But nowadays the melodeon has made a comeback, and it's the favorite instrument for stepdancing, because of its drive!

You will be surprised at how many Irish tunes you can play on a single row box. Here are two sources for Irish tunes. You can get sheet music from www.thesession.org and from this web site. http://www.norbeck.nu/abc/ You will need Barfly to use the Norbeck site. I use both of these sites for my Irish tunes. You should also download the Amazing Slowdowner. It works with Itunes and will slow down a song to 20% speed without changing pitch. I use this for learning Cajun and Irish tunes by ear. Good luck.

Dana, Peer thanks for the information, very helpful...
I did break out my D box from Larry Miller and have been learning and playing The Squid Jiggin Ground and Moonshiner.
One thing I noticed the bass side is played much different than the Cajun two steps and waltzes. It really takes getting used to. They are a blast to play.
Thanks again for the ibfo.
Chuck from Kentucky

Re: Irish Jigs, Reels, Hornpipes, etc.

Forgot to mention that: the basses are only really melodically useful for tunes in D, and even then not all the time. In other keys, like Em or A, you should only use them when they fit the melody. If not, just tip the bass buttons as shortly as possible (using them purely for rhythm, and not for melody) or skip them altogether!
The regular and long ooom-paaah bass sound we use in Cajun music, is utterly un-Irish! Long bass notes are only used for accentuating and dramatic effects. Mostly, they are played very shortly. Sometimes you hear nothing but -tip -tip and then suddenly : blaaaaah!!
It may feel funny, and I don´t like it too, (I always tend to tip the basses from the start) but Irish tunes are best learned without any basses at all! It´s a complete different approach.

Chuck, don't get too concerned with the basses when playing Irisn music. The rhythm is built into the melody so it is not important to use the basses. If your tune is in D and A then use them, otherwise don't use them at all. If you have a guitar or piano playing rhythm then the basses are not used at all. I seldom use them, and never use them at a session. We always have a guitar or two, sometimes a mandolin or bouzouki so I only play melody. Go to a few Irish sessions and you will see. Some skilled box players will occasionally tap the bass but that requires several bass buttons which you don't have. Just concentrate on the melody and everything will be fine. Have fun.

One rows played by Irish players are tuned 12TET and usually dry but some use a wet tuning.

Johnny Connolly often plays in C. He has been known to use Hohners which sound great.

Most Irish one row players use the basses. Granted not always "correct" in minors or any of the six non home keys available on a one row.

What is "12TET?"

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!