Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Missing Acadian accordion

Sarah,

First of all, sorry to hear this most unfortunate news :-(

It is particularly annoying (and infuriating) to lose a top-notch
music instrument .. particularly when your livelihood depends upon music.

Did you say "sunburst"? Like the finish on a Gibson Sunburst Les Paul?
That should be easy to spot out.

We'll keep our eyes open. I can think of at least a couple incidences where
my friends and I were able to locate and return a stolen instrument.

Let's hope for better luck in 2013 :-)

--Big Nick

Thanks so much to all of you. What a sick bunch of people who steal instruments. And I wouldn't be so upset if it were something one of us had bought (though I'd still be pretty violently ticked off), but to have such a family heirloom missing is awful, especially under such shady circumstances. I just have a lot of trouble believing people can be like that. But y'all are so kind it's giving me (us) hope! Yes, it's a sunburst pattern like the old Fender guitars and basses. It would have been sold from Edmonton, Canada. I wanna find this accordion, and I want the people who sold it to pay back what they got for it. Thanks, y'all. I really, really appreciate this help and support.

There's not much we can do. All these kind words won't help you much to get back the accordion.
The only way to track down the instrument seems to be through these people from Edmonton themselves, who got "rid"of it. Can't you put them under pressure to find out where it is? Judicially or otherwise!?

Sarah,

I would add to this thread, that just by posting your dilemma here has alerted a LOT of "eyes" who will be looking at all accordions in many, many venues for this "missing" Acadian. I personally am located here in S.W. Louisiana and attend many jams, performances, and dances...and will be on the "look-out" also. I am certain all others who have now been alerted will be doing the same in similar venues all over the world! A rare accordion like this can't be hidden forever.

Good luck!

Charlie Begnaud (New Iberia, La.)

Thanks Charlie! That's exactly my point in posting here. Warm regards, Sarah

It was wrong for someone to sell it without contacting you first, even after some time had gone by. Ask them for details of the sale. Put an ad in the local Edmundton newspaper concerning the instrument (description and possible time frame of sale). I hope you get this favored piece of family history back.

leslie
It was wrong for someone to sell it without contacting you first, even after some time had gone by. Ask them for details of the sale. Put an ad in the local Edmundton newspaper concerning the instrument (description and possible time frame of sale). I hope you get this favored piece of family history back.

maybe an ad on Kijiji could help too?

it's kinda like craigslist for Canada...
(link 1)

Thank you both for these ideas, Leslie and Loup'd Garouv! I will try to find out more about when the accordion was "gotten rid of" and try these ideas.

Boo Hoo Boo Hoo should have kept better care of your pride possession

Too bad so sad that you're such an ash-hole.

JB

He/she should probably also learn to read and write. I believe I made it clear that it was not my own accordion. I'm also assuming this person meant "prized" possession instead of "pride" possession. In any case, not even worth it. ;)

To all those asking about a picture, I would offer this: I am very familiar with the this style that Marc built back then. It is very easily identified. The faces are "sunburst" but, with a slightly orange tint versus red for the "burst", as you might have seen some for the Martin accordions have.. The rest of the instrument is black lacquer except, the bellow frames are covered with a black cloth tape. There aren't very many of these Acadians around, so when you see one, it will stand out. Hope this helps you recover it Sarah!
Jude Moreau

I'm trying to see it in my mind from your excellent literal description, Jude, but I'm still not sure I know what sunburst looks like on an accordion. Not that it's likely to end up in Arkansas anyway . . .

It would probably resemble Jackie Callier's sunburst accordion, or my dad's guitar that is in most of our videos. its a black that fades into an orange instead of the red fading into orange you would normally see on a Martin accordion or a gibson electric guitar.

Jamey et al.: Purely as a visual reference as this is not the accordion in question but a fairly identical one owned by David Doucet.

Photobucket

John

Thanks for posting the photo, John! I couldn't figure out how to do it and then got sidetracked. Joel said it looked something like that, but more red.

Sarah,

True story:

I remember .. this one time .. that my band was playing a new year's eve
party back when they still had bands and parties on New Year's Eve.

Sure enough, our lead guitarist's Gibson L6-S was stolen at the end of the gig.

Quite some time later, I was in a local "recording studio". The proprietor
had numerous guitars displayed in stands, I suppose for ambiance.

But one of them was the wayward L6-S. One reason that I knew it was my
friend's guitar is the he had mounted a non-standard knob onto the
volume control shaft. (It was an "odd" gray chicken head knob, the likes of
which I have yet to see to this day.)

Anyway, I said nothing and displayed my best poker face as to not let on.

Soon after leaving the studio, I contacted my friend, who assembled one
ugly entourage of his shady buddies to go back to the studio for his guitar.

They simply walked in, picked up the guitar, and said "I'll take this."

The studio owner (who had a reputation for being a bit slimy anyway) really
couldn't do anything about it.

Point of all this is .. every once in a blue moon, justice prevails.

I can only hope that your accordion episode turns out as well ..

Best of luck,

--Big Nick

Jamey: burnt orange in the center, fading to dark red as it moves outward, fading to black as it gets to the outside edges. You've seen this on Gibson and Fender guitars.

Thanks to you all for your comments on this, as well as for your shared stories and ideas on how I might be able to find it. My only point in posting here was to share with all of you fellow Cajun accordion lovers what has happened just in case anyone sees it anywhere or has heard about it. I'm assuming, anyway, that y'all are like I am, and get all excited every time you see a Cajun accordion and have to check it out, right?

Ain't that the truth? You can't see, hold, have, or try too many of them. That's one of the many reasons Balfa Camp is so much fun: you can try out a whole slew of them there.

Best of luck on your search, Sarah! Please let us know what you turn up.

The story sounds incomplete.

If you cared about the accordeon, why did you give it to someone to "hold" ?
Why did you not contact them earlier if the instrument was important?
Wouldn't the people who had it be the best source of information on its current loccation ?

Well, to tell you the truth, my dear Watson, it is all just a cleverly thought of research for market value, story ideas and plot. This for a new Conan Doyle "Who Dun' It" detective book called "Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Missing Acadian Accordion". It will be published late 2013, and revenues are meant to help out Marc and family covering the restoration costs caused by the flooding of the Savoy Music Center ... see: http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20130112/NEWS01/301120308/The-show-will-go-Savoy-Music-Center - Nout

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!