Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Irish Jigs, Reels, Hornpipes, etc.

Forgot to mention that: the basses are only really melodically useful for tunes in D, and even then not all the time. In other keys, like Em or A, you should only use them when they fit the melody. If not, just tip the bass buttons as shortly as possible (using them purely for rhythm, and not for melody) or skip them altogether!
The regular and long ooom-paaah bass sound we use in Cajun music, is utterly un-Irish! Long bass notes are only used for accentuating and dramatic effects. Mostly, they are played very shortly. Sometimes you hear nothing but -tip -tip and then suddenly : blaaaaah!!
It may feel funny, and I don´t like it too, (I always tend to tip the basses from the start) but Irish tunes are best learned without any basses at all! It´s a complete different approach.

Re: Irish Jigs and Reels

Chuck, don't get too concerned with the basses when playing Irisn music. The rhythm is built into the melody so it is not important to use the basses. If your tune is in D and A then use them, otherwise don't use them at all. If you have a guitar or piano playing rhythm then the basses are not used at all. I seldom use them, and never use them at a session. We always have a guitar or two, sometimes a mandolin or bouzouki so I only play melody. Go to a few Irish sessions and you will see. Some skilled box players will occasionally tap the bass but that requires several bass buttons which you don't have. Just concentrate on the melody and everything will be fine. Have fun.

One rows played by Irish players are tuned 12TET and usually dry but some use a wet tuning.

Johnny Connolly often plays in C. He has been known to use Hohners which sound great.

Most Irish one row players use the basses. Granted not always "correct" in minors or any of the six non home keys available on a one row.

What is "12TET?"

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!