Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How much restoration?

I think it most importantly depends on what YOU want done to the instrument. I personally like an instrument that shows some sign of wear and lets you know its been around the block a few times, especially in the case of something of historical value like a Sidney Brown box.

John

That old thing probably sounds like hell. Just ship it out here to San Diego and I'll send you a brand new Ariette. I'll even pay shipping both ways...... :)
But seriously, I suppose you could keep the well-aged look, but freshen the internals, including bellows repair. Or replace the bellows (keep the originals) so it can be played.
I'd try to make the exterior look original, whether you don't touch it, or you have to replace wood sections. Cool piece of history. Thanks for sharing.

Changing reeds probably will alter the sound, even if replaced by the same brand and type. What key is it in? I guess that if all reeds work and are not rusty maybe a re-valving and tuning job will do. Maybe have an expert repairer on older accordions have a look at it first? Mr Doucet or Larry Miller? - Nout

In my opinion, and keep in mind, this is only my opinion, the only real value that Sidney Brown accordions have is sentimental. I've seen one, or two, that I'd value at $800-$1000, but most around $400-$500. I feel as though a complete and detailed restoration would actually add value, but others may not. I think what I would do is have someone remove and clean all the reeds while replacing the leathers and then rewax them in. The bellow can be easily replaced. It is the bellow from a Hohner HA114. Make sure all the flappers and buttons are sturdy and secure and play the thing.

Good luck!

What Ganey said. Bring it to someone reputable and have it evaluated for what it needs to be playable. May be extensive, may not be, but revalving, rewaxing, and tuning the reeds is pretty much a guarantee.

I think Larry Miller would be just the guy to talk to about this.

The reeds, if each and every one respond, are fine. They most likely just need tuning, and new leathers.

If it were me, I'd let the cosmetics alone. Just get things fixed that need it, that's my advice. I restored a 1924 Hohner one row, and left the cosmetics alone, save new(er) bellows.

Thanks, for all of the input.

Nout, its keyed in C and one of the base reeds is dead and some of the others are sounding off. It sat in its box for more than ten years and this probably has a lot to do with it.

Tim, thanks for the offer to put me out of my misery and take it off my hands, but I couldn't do that to you, it's my cross to bear.

For those that have never had the chance to play a Sidney Brown, it doesn't compare to the high quality put out by today's builders. Ganey is right, it has historical and sentimental value and on the open market, that’s where any dollars would come from. It was a high cost item at $600 new. But, there is no price to compare to having the source of the music I heard every day as I grew up. I'm also lucky enough to have video of the my Dad playing it.

So, I will be in Eunice, LA for 5 days during Mardi Gras. Walking distance from Marc Savoy, just up the road from Larry Miller, and I already have plans to visit Jr. Martin to look at the instrument he made for me. One of these guys will be able to help. As for the outside, just like us all, it’s only right to have the years show. The signs of wear indicate experiences that give us something to remember and talk about. Thanks again - Leo

Good luck with it, and let us know how it goes.

One thing I can say about Mr. Brown, I think he actually built a good box considering what he had to work with at the time, what info he had. Us builders today have it a lot easier.

Leo, Any chance of posting the video of your dad playing the SB box?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!