Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hey Peer

You can do several things:

1. stick to the D box and get a C box, and you can play most of the Irish stuff, but also Cajun and Quebecois. Check out Gilles Poutoux from France on Youtube. Website #2. He used to play a double row, but he is happier now with his two melodeons.
2. buy a C#/D box. This is the system used by wizards like Mairtin O'Connor, Sharon Shannon and Jackie Daly. Like Nout said: the sound is different from a CA, and you can't get a reasonable Cajun sound from it. I have a C#/D Castagnari Dinn II, but I seldom play it , to be honest.
3. buy a B/C box . Sounds the same as the C#/D , but you will have to learn from scratch, because the fingering is completely different from what you have learned until now. Also , the B/C is more fluent and less "push&pull" than the Cajun accordion and the C#/D.(and thus, less "swinging". for fluent work and singing accompaniment I use my piano accordion)

In your place, I'd go for option 1, or maybe option 2. But I wouldn't recommend option 3. And certainly not a C/D box, which, as far as I know, no one uses.

Catmelodeon wishes you very much wisdom! It's up to you now!

Thanks for the info. I really enjoyed Gillespoutoux playing those tunes....
I really enjoy the Cajun music but I like the Irish tunes a lot and have really gotten hooked on some of it. I now find myself playing a lot of both types of songs lately. Maybe cause it's getting close to St Patty's Day.
Honestly I like the humor and the balads a lot.
Chuck from krntucky

Chuck, I play Irish box in C#D. This is the closest system to your D box. The inside row is in D and is identical to your D box. I have also played BC and while it is a bit smoother, it does require intricate fingering techniques because you cross the rows all the time and that requires an instructor. As for models, if you can afford it, my first choice for an Irish box is a Paolo Soprani with 4 voices in C#D with the Paolo Soprani bass layout. If you go BC then you need the Joe Burke bass layout. There is something about the sound and feel of a Paolo Soprani that makes it a joy to play. Saltarelle also makes a couple nice models like the Irish Bouebe with 2 voices. You want the tuning on the wet side for Irish music. There are Boxes made in Irlend like the Kincora, Cardin and Paddy Clancy. Bertrand Gaillard in France also makes a fine box and in the Netherlands there is Van der Aa. Waiting times can be quite long, up to a year for some makes but the Soprani is usually available. Another popular make is Castignari. You should attend a few sessions and talk to the box players. See what they play and why. Good luck and keep squeezin'.

Dana, thanks also for the feedback. Just wondering what the price range is for those boxes. I have no idea what they run.
I am planning on going to Ireland later this year and am looking forward to it.
Chuck from Kentucky

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!