Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New Acadian

Well this looks like a good start already! Fine looking accordion!

Very nice! Now sign up for Balfa Camp - if for no other reason, so that we can have a chance to hear (and maybe) play your new box!

Because of my business, I probably will not be able to attend Balfa Camp this year, but may plan to do so next year. I am planning to come down for
Festivals Acadiens et Créoles in October.

Man did you luck out or what! That is a real beauty. You are in very good hands with Nick's DVDs. I used them to learn Cajun accordion and found them to be very professionally produced and easy to follow. Nick is a great teacher. Good luck with your new pride and joy. Always glad to welcome a new brave.

I have been playing around with an older Hohner 114-A, but this is a Cadillac compared to it. I am still trying to keep my thumb from slipping off and to keep the box stable when using the fingers on my right hand.
That seems to be the most difficult part for me so far. I guess I have to figure out my own way. I am experimenting with a strap going across my my body to see if that will help the stability problem. Having a strap off the right shoulder is hard just trying to keep the strap on my shoulder from slipping off.

I also had difficulty in stabilizing the box. I finally tried a two strap system like the larger accordions and it worked better than I hoped. I didn't even have to use the thumb strap and thus was able to move my hand up and down the keyboard. This kept my wrists straight and eliminated the pain in my wrist. It was a very comfortable setup. You will need larger brackets but it is worth it. Just a thought. Good luck and keep squeezin'.

Re: Strap slipping off

I used to have a problem with the strap slipping off at one time.
Then I got a strap made by Danny Dyson with the "rough side" of the leather against my shoulder.

What a difference!
No more slipping.

Works great.
DP

Re: Strap slipping off

Hey, try a rubber band around he thumb strap to make it tighter.
BTW, where you at?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!