Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A never used Hohner from the 80's I entirely changed

I got lucky on Ebay a few weeks ago. Found a Hohner 114 in D that went out at 316 dollars. The thing has literally never been used. It had the bill of sale from the early 80's. It was sold from Elderly Instruments back then and still had the sticker on the accordion saying, "New Hohner 114 in D".

The bellows had not been broken in yet. However, it did come with typical Hohner inaccuracies. The thing was tuned all over the place (not counting it's extreme wet tuning). The thing was in tune with itself. It also leaked like a ******* around the faceplates. Fixed easily with crazy glue. The thing leaks way less all of my Hohners.

I Cajun tuned it and also lowered the wet tuning. I did my best to progressive tune each note so the beats were all similar. It's not perfect, especially having to work with standing reed blocks. That tiny space in between where the mid reeds are is a pain in the ass. But, it sounds better than a light mussette, with an exact amount of cents per note (i.e. 5 cents wet across the board).

Had no formula to work with, but I'm happy with what I did to it. I think this is one of my favorite accordions I have. Even amongst my handmades. I might get a set of bellows from Mouton, he had Italians made to size the Hohner. This one deserves them

Re: A never used Hohner from the 80's I entirely changed

Oh man, what a great video! Very nice!

Very nice playing.

You definitely lucked out.. the Irish players search these out.

Amazing what a Hohner can sound like when properly tuned.

Excellent playing !

Great sound and playing Jim, makes me think of the old pre war cajun music i like so much ... time for a CD maybe?? - Nout

Jim is that the Amedee tune Sunset? I could hear Amedee's haunting voice singing in my head when you were playing that. As always hats off to you and your pops!

Thanks all

Christian- Not sure if I've heard that one... is it on "Never Comin' Back"?

Isn't that Amede's Elton Two step? What Austin Pitre recorded as Two Step De Bayou Teche? It nice playing, by the way.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!