Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: OT - annoying compression

In support of DPM's Post :

http://productionadvice.co.uk/stand-out-on-the-radio/

Re: OT - annoying compression

You stole that photo from my website.

-Did I really? :)

It's not just the loudness though. There is a feeling like my head is inside a drum. Pressure pulses, not just continual loudness.

-How loud are you listening to the music?
-Are you using headphones? (don't)
-Do you listen the day after a gig? (your ears are still recovering)

Yes, AM is VERY annoying to listen to.
-No comment.

But this is like having my head in a hermetically sealed can, and someone continually increasing and decreasing the pressure, very quickly.
-Sounds painful.

Re: CD "Everybody's Dancing" by Geno, either observation or question

I've always thought that the playing on that whole CD was phenomenal; however, I find that as a result of processing, the accordion has a characteristic that is similar to the accordion in the High Performance recordings. I can't only listen to so much of it. Now that you've mentioned it, perhaps it is the compression. I know from the solo recording I did back in 2005 that compression can make the listening experience not as pleasant as it was intended.

The playing is phenomenal. I was listening to it again today. I had turned the bass down from an earlier listening, turned the treble down. However, it is recorded louder than some of my other stuff I play on my phone. I think the recording on the cd is loud. Turning the volume down seemed to help somewhat, but things were....less audible....couldn't hear the backup instruments well.

Seems everything was POPPING to a degree. Drums were popping, accordion was popping. Not so much fiddle because it's more fluid. Maybe they had the noise gate turned up too, to filter out some of the ramp up and ramp down from notes.

I don't think it's my imagination. I didn't used to think this, but I didn't know the function and results of compression either, so I had nothing to relate it to. It was great to listen too, but it's begun to wear on me.

I also just bought a compressor/limiter/gate.

compressor
limiter
gate

3 good ways to mess up your sound
just saying
there are a lot of wrong ways to do them all

wle

I'm mostly interested in compression to experiment so I don't have to scream over the band to sing and hear myself, and the limiter to keep from bleeding from my ears while wearing in ear monitors, if any feedback starts. Not sure if I'll keep the in ear monitors, so, compression is an option.

ok
not sure it can really do either one
but it;s another time waster trying it out
oh sorry i forgot - -''education'' :)

i don;t think most acc players use either one live
if you get compression wrong it can
a. make feedback worse and
b. suck the life and dynamics out of the music
[[which is one of the attractions of accordion, dynamics]]

or you might get it right!

wle

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!