Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CNC Woodworking

I have seen the workshop from JR Martin and it was filled with conventional electric woodworkingtools. What I have seen from Marc Savoy looks the same, just old fashion machines. I did some searching on youtube for woodworking and I found so many videos from CNC macines for all kind of material like wood, metal ........
At link#2 you see a CNC machine which maybe could be useful for building an accordion ?
It's just an example , but are there builders who are using CNC.
I have no idea what the costs are from the machines, but it's new technology that can be maybe useful.

Re: CNC Woodworking

I think, at one time, Bruce Fraser was planning on experiementing with CNC equipment. We had a conversation many years ago, but I don't know if he ever did it.

Ganey you have a good memory. I do have a conventional milling machine and lathe that I did use to build a Cajun accordion but so far no CNC. I'm still thinking about getting a CNC Mill for hobby use. As far as building Accordions professionally it is not likey. There are at least 30 builders in LA and nearby states and they are probably building more accordions than there are buyers. Even with good CNC equipment it would be difficult to shave off much cost because there are so many hand operations needed to build a quality accordion. The other thing to consider is the market. Probably only about 2-300 quality accordions per year is the entire market.

Olav Bergflodt (links #2 and #3) in Norway uses a computer guided laser for doing his intricate scroll work, inlay, and for cutting a lot of his wood pieces. I've been in lust with having a laser machine ever since, well til I saw the price, $20,000.

I've looked at several CNC machines, but if I get one, I want one that can cut intricate designs and the sound holes also. Everything I've seen so far has some tearout.

Guess we won't be seeing one of those lasers at the local harbor freight anytime soon

John

I understand that the investment is to big for such machines.
But I saw machines (hobby) for lower prices, but that ones can't do all the things for building an accordion. But when I saw the movies , I found it very impressive what they could do with a CNC-machine.
Next question is maybe 3D-printing

I personally look at it this way. I build accordions because I love to. I love woodworking and the feel and smell of the wood. I am also a woodcarver. A CNC machine would take all the fun our of building an accordion. I also like good food and like to eat. So a CNC machine would be kinda like rushing through a fine meal.

I wouldn't think a CNC machine would be of much good except for drilling the faceplate holes, bass box holes, and possibly the button pivot slots. Seems the rest of it is hand or router work.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!