Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Going to try Brass Binci (only plates, reeds are steel) in my Walnut Acadian

The Hohner's larger bassoon reeds and bass note (the big one), use loads of air, no matter what accordion they're in. And they are very slow in response. The rest of the reeds are sweet, but they're more breakable...

You read my mind about the Walnut. It needs a bit more high end, and I'm hoping to achieve more brightness, with the brass pans. But, won't know until I actually get them in

Brass plates = heavy

I think they will "sing" nicely, but it's going to add 5 lbs. to the weight of the accordion!

Re: Brass plates = heavy

Brass is 11% heavier than steel.

if the whole accordion was 11% heavier it would only be half a pound

are the plates the same size though?
i have never really understood this
if the whole accordion was 11% heavier it would only be half a pound
how can a box with brass reeds be all that much heavier?

wle

Re: if the whole accordion was 11% heavier it would only be half a pound

Brass plates are thinner, but noticeably heavier than the aluminum. I have a set of aluminum Ciccarelli reeds, which are 10.2 ounces, and a set of brass base Ciccarelli reeds, which are 18.2 ounces. But the brass based reeds are a slightly smaller dimension to match the old Salpa reeds, so not an exact comparison, but close enough to give an idea.

Dwight, both use steel reeds, the only difference is the plate the reeds are attached to.

Brass pans may be heavy, but walnut = light

Not too worried about it. Will let you know how it turns out. First I have to get my vision back

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!