Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tuning lower keyed accordions is a biotch

I've been finding that tuning any accordion between low G and B is such a pain. I'd even prefer to tune a D accordion (and anything up) over a C.

The pitch vs. pressure factor is tricky on the low ones. Finding the equilibrium is difficult, and you have to tune to near the amount of force you particularly like to play.

I guess it all comes down to, lower reeds respond slower, and are more sensitive to the amount of pressure, while you're tuning and playing. Especially with shallow reed chambers (which I prefer, when it comes to air usage).

I ended up with a lot of trial and error with my low G's bassoon set.

It is definitely an art form.

Re: Tuning lower keyed accordions is a biotch

Just experienced the same with my G, any tips? - Nout

The issue is it takes a while for the big reeds to stabilize, especially when it's the only one sounding, so you have to provide plenty of bellows travel to give the reed a chance to stabilize to playing pressure. One thing I do is tune the small base reed first, then the big reed, then sound with the smallest reed and biggest reed together. This allows the big reed to stabilize better, and both your ear and and a strobe tuner can pick up the difference, if there is still one.

Yessir that's how I do it

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!