Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Phrygian Mode

I think that is actually the Dorian mode. If I remember correctly, the Phrygian mode would be if you began the scale on E with a C accordion.

But, that does not answer your question...

When I have had to deal with weird modes, it is usually because of a specific song or songs that I want to play. So, I find the notes, and play it 500 times until I have it down. Eezy peezy!

Both BG and David are correct. The Pine Grove Blues are played in dorian mode, or Key of D on an C accordion. It is also similar to the Blues scale. I have played bass with both Chris Miller and Steve Riley playing Tous les temps en temp using this same scale. I have actually developed a couple of tunes using it, but it isn't an easy scale. Technically, you can play it over a major, or minor chord progression, but I don't like it over minor.

Phrygian mode is actually E minor on the C accordion. It is really hard to play any type of melody in this position, but I have heard a couple of Zydeco songs that just have a couple of licks from this position.

Thanks Big, David and Ganey. It's the 500 times I'm trying to avoid! I'm working on this.

tons of zydeco is e minor on a c accordion

actually tons of zydeco is e minor on a c accordion
since G is 2nd position, and e minor is all the same notes

wle

This is all so mind-bending that I'm just going to turn on my myxolodian and have a frozen concoction to help me hang on.

Hey Johnny,

I was just working out Boozoo's "keep your dress tail down" and I think it's the same fingering as Pine Grove, more or less.
I had to use Amazing Slow Downer to change the key so I could work it out on my C box(the only one with me for the winter months until I get back home and start gigging again).
I think Boozoo must have used the A key. I just bumped the pitch up.
I do play Pine Grove and it does get easier with time. After a while you'll get to where you can jam/innovate with it.

see ya
kirk

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!