Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Keith Frank Accordion

This might be a shot in the dark but could anyone help me in determining what key is Keith Frank's green 10 button accordion??? I love the sound of it and it is so distinctive from everyone else. I am not good at figuring out keys.
Also does he possibly play some of his older stuff on a single row C# and if not what exactly is it ??? Its almost as if he has a different accordion on every CD. So many different sounds but all so great!
Thanks!!

Re: Keith Frank Accordion

C#minor is played on an A box. This is like playing the "Do it All Night (Beau Jocque) riff on a D accordion (F#minor), on a C (Eminor), On a Bb (Dminor). does that make sense?

To answer your initial question, I remember this question being answered on this forum in the past. I'm guessing that green box is B natural but it is only a guess. You could email Keith and ask him. I'm sure he would be only too glad to answer any question you have.

Thanks!!....Unfortunately what you mentioned at first doesn't make to much sense to me because i have only been playing music (accordion) for about two years and strictly by ear. I can play but just don't know to much about chords or keys and such.

As for the green box, when trying to match his sound, my Bb sounds a bit low and my C sounds a bit high so B natural makes sense being that it is in the middle right?

When i mentioned a C# box, thats because some of his stuff sounds a bit higher than a C box but doesn't sound as high as a D. Idk

Besides all that im sure the internal mic and way he sets up the board makes a difference too.

lolol Man i have soooo much to learn about different sounds and so many questions that i don't even know how to ask!!! Just trying to kinda learn what i can and match sounds with keys before i jump in and eventually get another box.

Thanks for the info!

There is a program available that will change the key on a recording so you can match it with your accordion. I think it is called something like "the slow downer" or something like that. Maybe somebody can jump in and be more accurate. I know it has been discussed before If you are a computer guy then you can learn by ear off the recording and match it to your accordion.

The programn is called "The Amazing Slowdowner" by microsoft. It's been arund a long time. Will let you change a song done on a D accordion to match your C etc. I don't think it is very explensive and osunds like it is well worth it.

Slow Downer

I downloaded a mac version from BitTorrent for free. Probably buy for a few dollars.

It rocks.

I made a reference to it on your last post re: modes or positions. (See Boozoo's "dress tail down" which is very good to jam to and learn to mode in a fun way..btw...the best version was off his last cd with Greeley and Sonny Landreth ripping on it)

I change keys to suit myself, slow it down to pick up the notes, and quickly make small loops to work out difficult passages.

Re: Slow Downer

KF has a B and a C# box
some of the stuff on that old 'live at slims' was done on the C#
very weird key

as far as him telling you, he may or he may not, he can be reclusive

wle

Also want to say that Audacity is free and has the same slow down capabilities. Although it's much more capable than that and a little more complicated to use, just wanted to mention it.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

WF

Could it be a F# accodrion. In 2002 he was in Holland and one hour ago I heared he used a F#. Lisa Haley said, "who's playing in F#"

Thanks to everyone for the info!!!

Yes i have heard he can be reclusive which is why i didn't really bother contacting him. On top of the key itself he plays in, it also appears to be dry tuned. Am i right?? I think i have gotten the dry/wet tune sound under wraps

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!