Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Slow Downers

I read some posts in threads below about Slow Downer software and thought I would start a tread on that topic as there are some exciting developments in this area.

The Grandaddy of Slow Downers is The Amazing Slow Downer, by Roni Music. I have used this for years on Windows PCs, but they also have a Mac version. I think it costs around $50 and is well worth it and highly recommended.

There was another Slow Downer I used long ago, but lost track of it during a PC swap-out. It was called Transkriber (SP?). It had some minor advantages over the Amazing Slow Downer as I recall. I don't know if it still exists or not.

A recent development is the emergence of Slow Downers on IOS devices (iPhone, iPod, iPad). The first one I found is none other than...The Amazing Slow Downer. There is a Lite version that is free, but it only plays the first 25% of the track. Sound quality is excellent. The full version costs $15, which seems a little pricey for something from the App store, but obviously much cheaper than the PC or Mac version.

But the real news is a different and greatly superior App, which is called AnyTune Pro. It also has a free version, which has HORRIBLE sound quality, but plays an entire track. The full version costs $15.

I had the free versions of both for a few months, but I finally pulled the trigger and purchased AnyTune Pro. I am VERY happy with it.

It has sound quality that is equally as good as The Amazing Slow Downer, but has many, many more useful features. Honestly, I don't know if I will use half of those features or not, but some are very worthwhile. Time will tell. I will say that the presence of all these features leads to a very cramped and cluttered user interface, at least on my iPhone.

For you Android users, sorry, you are out of luck. I don't understand the technical details, but the developers of the Slow Downers say that Android is lacking in the audio processing power and/or built in libraries they need to develop a Slow Downer app. I dunno - that's what THEY say, not me.

Re: Slow Downers

Best Practice is a free one:

http://bestpractice.sourceforge.net/.

... Nout

LIke you Dave, I have used the Amazing Slowdowner for years and still do to this day. I am using it right now to learn some traditional Italian tunes along with some new Cajun tunes. I always recommend it to new box players on this forum. I swear by it and it is well worth the $50 price. One very important point is that when you purchase the ASD, they send you an unlock program. You must save this to an archive disc so you can reinstall it when you redo your PC or Mac.

With ASD on your computer, iPhone and iPad, it's always close by. I don't believe the other aps have this versatility.

I have been test driving an Android app called Audio Speed Changer. It doesn't have as many features as ASD and the sound quality is poor at the slowest speeds, but its free, the user interface is good, and serves the purpose. I run it on a Galaxy Note 2 and, so far, find it adequate for my needs until I get back to my PC and ASD.

Also, Audacity has this capability as well.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

WF

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!