Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: video of San diego Cajun Playboys with my Martin

That's pretty cool! How did you get such good sound on your video camera? Usually the sound of those kind of videos is pretty bad.

Was that gig at Tio Leo's? I will be playing there next Weds.

Am I correct that Jon moved to Texas a number of years ago, but comes back to San Diego every year for Gator? It seems like we don't hear from the Playboys very often, except at Gator. But, since I am not in San Diego all the time, I am sure that there's stuff going on that I don't hear about.

-David

Yeah, Dave, it was at Tio Leo's! I just walked right up to him on the stage using........ my I-phone 4. You can hear the change in sound as I step back and get right in front of the speaker for a moment.
Jon lives and works here in SD. Joel Breaux, their old accordion player, moved back to louisiana or Texas.
The bon Temps people let us know who's playing and where all over SoCal.
I'll come to Tio Leo's next Wed and say hi. Drinks on me.

Yeah, I remember when Joel went back to Louisiana (little, teeny town, but I don't remember the name), but I thought Jon also left some time later. I *think* it was somewhere in Texas, maybe where his wife was from? Oh well, it is of little importance. But I thought that was why they only get together once in a while.

Recorded on iPhone 4? Wow - it came out quite well.

See you Wednesday

I see Joel a lot down here, he's a regular at a lot of jams. He is an excellent musician and one of the best cajun vocalist you will ever hear. I spoke to him just this past Friday and he was telling me he still has his house in Coteau Homes but I think he said he also rents a house in Lafayette.

Jon,
I never met Joel. Tell him, "Hi" for the guys in the band. He and Jon Grant did some harmony singing on Small Town Two Step.
I really liked the way Joel sang "Juste un Reve" ( Jusque un Reve- in Acadia), which is why I asked for the lyrics on this forum some weeks back.
I've 'bout worn thru that CD. I can hear every lick of the accordion parts in my head. Just can't play them quite yet!

I had a chance to see the SD Cajun Playboys play at the War Memorial auditorium in San Diego. They were great. The dance was put on by the Bon Temps Social Club. Great group. I had an excellent time that night. If any Braves happen to visit So Cal, please check out this band. You will be glad you did.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!