Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Brand new Falcon for sale at Balfa - maybe

"Not entirely correct. Randy uses bellows made to specific measurements. The folds are not as deep, and I think it makes difference."

Yes it is entirely correct and Falcon's "custom" bellows are off the shelf units for makers other than Cajuns. Many use a different depth of fold such as.... CASTAGNARI. Same manufacturer. Point is Falcon doesn't make his bellows, they are outsourced. I use a different depth of fold, number of folds and size...standard Cajun box is too big.

A few years back there was a video posted here of young Savoy playing accordion with a trio.. it was bad. Many comments were made. Shortly after, a newbie started posting in defense of Savoy. It was obvious it was a woman and I posted my opinion. Arguments ensued... Sure enough, turned out to be his sister.

SAD... your revelation that some makers including Falcon use Doucet parts has been posted here time after time in preceding years. You have stirred up nothing. You are old news. You seem to want and need attention very badly, might I suggest raising the level of maturity and depth of conversation. That would get you a few more points.

I post under a variety of names as I think it is boring to use the same name, and in jest poke at others who seem to enjoy odd pseudonyms or monikers or nicknames.. and a few who hide.

Beermo Garfuliak

Sorry but he uses different sizes. Some may be off the shelf, but the ones with the shallow folds are ordered many months ahead of time.

And they are made by the same folks who make all the rest of the bellows. All of the bellows are made to order, and take a few months to get. This is no big deal. Now if he was making his own bellows as does MELODIE and Bergflodt, just to name a couple, I'd be impressed.

I also use an odd sized bellows with a slightly different configuration.
Send the specs, send the money , wait for them to arrive.

Jamey did you sell that overrated box yet????

LOL! Not yet, you frothing-at-the-mouth Martin-aholic! To tell you the truth, since I've been back from Balfa, I haven't tried - too busy. A couple people there wanted to buy it, but they were waiting to sell fiddles or somesuch. It's okay, I'm not in any fired-up hurry; I'll hold it for them for a little bit.

But one of these days, I'll probably get worked up enough to sell it and/or my Shine Mouton, even though I love that Shine! But you'll be glad to know I won't ever sell my D Martin; it was more or less a gift, so I wouldn't feel right to ever part with it. Same with my C Acadian. Too much luck, sentimental attachment, and blessing wrapped up in each one . . .

Does the Shine Mouton have Hohner sliders?

I tuned that old Shine, and I don't remember if it had metal slides, but thinking it did. What I do remember is that it sounds and plays really good. Love the sound of Hohner reeds.

I *think* they're metal. I'll have to look . . . it's out in the truck right now . . .

Bryan,

I,too,am very fond of the Hohner reed sound when properly tuned. I think most of the criticism of Hohners relates to what I call Hohner's "almost" tuning. Properly tuned Hohner boxes have great charm.

In addition to my favorite Italian made Castagnaris, I also own Hohners, the older and funkier, the better. I jhave an HA 112 and an HA 113 both in A.

There is a Shine Mouton box here locally with Hohner slide parts and undefined reeds; it is one helluva box.

I think that there is entirely too much focus on the "high end" bits and pieces that go into boxes and not enough into the character and soul of them which cannot be learned.. you got it or you don't. Shine had it, Richard Richard had it, the old Saxon, Bohemian boxes had it ie Monarch and Sterling .

Tue best accordeon I ever played was a 2 row Italian box from the thirties. Plywood beech for the box, cheap spruce and rough maple for the reed blocks.. nothing fancy and what an incredible machine. Other than properly mitred joints, it was rather ordinary in its construction. Crude handmade reeds that sang.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!