Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
acoustic video recordings of new Binci, with brass plates and steel reeds

I'm always trying to figure out the best way to describe these, without confusing people. Accordion reeds are always made of steel these days. I installed Bincis with brass plates, as opposed to the standard aluminum.

Once upon a time there were actual brass reeds, and steel-bronze reeds. Those actually really, really suck. Those, at best, stayed in tune as long as a guitar.

Anyway, at first I wasn't way too impressed with these Binci brass based, but now since they've broken in, I'm much happier than I was with the aluminum plates. There's more depth to the sound.

The weight has increased in the accordion, but this walnut still weighs less than my Zebrawood and Purple Heart.

I also just finally got the mid bank tuning to sound as close to Marc's style of dry tuning. A fragment of a cent off, either sharp or flat, makes a heaping load of difference than reeds that are all tuned spot on.

This also means, they cannot have any beats, what-so-ever. That is, if you want the chords and octaves to sound right. Marc's style of tuning is hard to achieve, I have to say.

Re: acoustic video recordings of new Binci, with brass plates and steel reeds

Sounds great. This tuning should really carry when you play outside. Keep up the good work.

Hi Jim, sounds great bro, both playing and sound ... and promising, i have a C to D conversion walnut still not finished yet, brass plated reeds are in but not waxed yet. I wonder what you did with the basses; i have alubased bass reeds mounted, since i always felt you don't need all those extra highs there. - Nout

How long did it take you to break them in, Jim?

Many, many hours. A good sign they're broken in, is that you don't have to keep retuning random reeds that don't stay in tune (played at moderate volume). I could also tell a maturing of tone, day after day.

Unfortunately, I'm putting the music down for a while. Got some vertigo issues going on at the moment. The slightest turn of my head, or any amount of concentration makes me want to throw up.

Dam! What's causing that? I have another friend going through the same thing right now. Suck. Hope you feel better soon!

Bad news Jim, i hope you get well soon ... Nout

Jim,
Sorry to hear of the recent downturn in health.
You've been really, really helpful in my learning process and I appreciate it. Not living in Cajun country and being steeped in the culture, I need the contacts and help. I'm also glad that you can distinguish my newness to the accordion, from being "retarded." It's important that people outside the culture love and share this music in order for it to survive.
I love how deep you're digging into these accordions! Tuning reeds and swapping reeds, etc.
Keep having fun playing and sharing my friend....

Last time I got my accordion tuned I was talking to Marc and he asked me if I play outside a lot. I answered him no, i live in Chicago. But I didn't really think to ask why he was asking. Does he tune slightly differently if you play outside a lot ?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!