Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: old acadian on ebay

Randy...just shut up.

You may not like Marc as a person but that doesn't give you the right to denigrate his contributions to the evolution of the Cajun accordion in Louisiana on this forum.

Do you even have a clue how your idol Junior got started building accordions?...for those that don't, Junior was given an Acadian as a present from his wife and being a woodworker he wanted to understand how they worked so he took the accordion apart and realized that he could make accordions EXACTLY like the Marc he had. With that in mind you should realize that every time you go out of your way to insult the work of Marc you're in effect insulting the person that your idol went to once he completed his first accordion and asked for the OK that he was on the right track.

John

John what what you stated is true however what you did not mention is that old fact that the student far outshines the teacher as time goes on.

Its sad that this is one of the few internet forums that doesn't have basic moderation or rules regarding slander. Its shameful.

If Junior Martin was at all embarrassed he would denounce this ****** Apparently neither of them is smart enough to know that the only person hurt by this nastiness is Jr. Martin.

I can't imagine being taught and mentored by a person only to turn around and compete with him or her by sending jerks like this out there to slander them. If Randy4u cared at all about Jr. Martin, he would would stop doing this if asked, but as far as I'm concerned randy4u speaks for Jr. Martin, and Jr. Martin has no honor.

For some reason people like to take to the internet and share their story of how Marc Savoy wasn't nice to them, like he owns a B&B or something. With a-holes like this running around, I can see why he's cautious with people

Now, why would you complain about a slander post, then answer it with another slander post? I do not know Junior real well, but he seems like way too nice and genuine a man to deserve this kind of bashing, and seriously doubt he would approve of his name being used in slandering his old friend. In fact, I find it tasteless and chicken**** to bash anyone on public forums. Got a problem with a man, go take it up with them.

Demanding that someone step up and denounce someone who looks like there strawman is not slander. And I'm certainly not saying anything about his instruments.

I don't really believe what I just said, I'm just describing how it looks to the internet viewer, and I'm trying to put myself in Jr.'s shoes. I mean you've got this nutjob who rudely insults your competition and only speaks well of your instruments. At some point don't you tell him to shut up or have to publicly distance yourself from him? Or say "this guy doesn't work for me"? You guys who know each other personally can brush it off, across the country it doesn't look good.

More importantly, most forums would have banned this guy a long time ago. I should should not have taken it out on Jr. Martin

Also, it just hurts the poor guy trying to sell a top of the line instrument and that guy never hurt anyone.

I'm sorry, I'm just mad. If I'm ever ordering a LG please don't judge me

I quit posting on this site for two reasons. One too many know it all's and two that retarded Californian that can't figure out which side of the accordion is the treble side. That would be randy for ewe-for the uniformed that would be a female sheep.
I have brought this to the attention of Jr. Martin and being the man he is he apparently doesn't believe it is worth his time to comment on it and I can't blame him. That tampax has a right to share with the world his ignorance and it is up to the people in it to just let him shine. When a man is trying to hang himself just give him the rope and sit back and watch. The guy is a coward. He once invited me to meet him behind one of the tents at Festival Acadian but he would never tell me which tent.
I have addressed this issue with Big Nick many times in the past and he has done his best to stop this spent tampax.
If you want to make him happy keep arguing with him.

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Tampon
This is a police drawing of randy4ewe

Jerry - You remain a stupid old fart with nothing to say . . . do us all a favor and go back into exile.

attacking criticism with criticism is very informative.

Jerry Jerry Jerry I really miss you my old buddy. Most of the people on here really don't make me laugh the way you did. And wow I told you I wanted to meet you behind some old smelly tent at Festival, you must have been on one of your accordion highs as I have never said that to you. I would never waste my time on a small piece of garbage like you, but you keep thinking that my buddy/ And for Sean, Jr Martin would never approve of what I say on here, what I say here is only describing the way I feel of his instruments and personality as compared to the one in Eunice. I am so amazed at how a comment I make can cause this much intense reaction, but I am glad that it does. Keeps this place alive. ps Jerry I knew you keep looking on here just doing us a favor by not saying much, and to Larry C I am glad I am not the only one that has the love for Jerry.

Doesn't anybody want to talk about the accordion which is the subject of the original post?

Overpriced?

Perhaps.

Brand new ones going for what now, $ 2.5 K plus ?

Seriously doubt if it's a piece of crap.

Just think the seller is trying to get back what he spent.

Randy's fingers obviously don't always connect to his brain.

Guess he needs the negative attention.

Learned to disregard his lack of cohesive thought a long time ago.

Glad you are still on the radar, Jerry!

JB

Sean, I don't judge based on internet. I wouldn't come out well if I was judged on the things I say I later regret.

To the original post, 1500 doesn't sound high to me if I knew it was in good shape. But I'd always be leery of buying a used one from someone I don't know sight unseen, unless it was a steal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsbarWiCVlA&list=PL3DC2336AEF2207A1

Here is proof that someone can take a professionally built accordion and make it sound like crap

Well, he does have a way to go before he hits the big time.
Not sure who joecammell is, but he needs to acquire a metronome or a drum machine or learn to count by some method.
This music is for dancing, in rhythm. Period.
JB

VCouple points:

First,

Jr Martin has told the story that he did get a Savoy box and wanted to make accordeons. He had heard of the unbounded generousity of Marc Savoy ahd approached him for any advice or assistance that he might offer,
According to Mr Martin, Savoy flat blew him off.

A very fine addoedeon maker attemnpted hgis first box and wenbt to see Marc Savoy for his input... it is reported that Savoy took one look and said :
"Hohner reeds" , turned his back and walked off.

The only thing that Marc Savoy and Jr Martin have in common is ( crude, amteurish) butted joints.

I have spoken several times to both Jr Martin and Marc Savoy, Savoy in person twice and twice on the phone when trying to buy a box.

Jr Martin is a very kind and generous gentleman, Marc Savoy is at the opposite end of the scale.

A local friend and a Quebecer, went to Louisiana with his family, specifically to see Marc Savoy and order an accordeon. Two minutes with Savoy, and he and his wife were so offended they left and went down the road to buy from someone else.

Both Savoy's and Jr Martin's reputations are not without factual basis.

I never met Marc Savoy in person, but talked on the phone to him once and exchanged mails. On both counts he was nice and quite professional. I can understand why a creative person being so much in the picture can be bothered with the many people wanting something from someone "famous"; fans, starting players looking for advice, or wanting to buy something from you for less money. And the many plain irritating time-wasters trying to sell you their personal beliefs or other. You have to put some defenses up at times to stay sane, and that can be a little annoying maybe at times. - BTW friends of mine experienced really nice things from Marc, like working through half the night to finish off an accordion for a starting player so they could take it home to Europe the next day. And lets face it, i value his workmanship as musician and builder very much, also for raising some really nice & musical kids, taking the time to explain playing & tuning accordions on DVD, and sharing his accordion building knowledge. So lets quit all this bashing and negativeness towards someone who contributes so many things of great value to Cajun- and other music & thus make this world a better place for so many people. Especially on this forum. I had my fill here for now too ... thank you. - Nout

Well-stated & I agree. Thank you.

I'm jumping in for the last time. The original question was of the age and value of the Acadian listed on eBay.

Irrespective of the irrelevant personality differences of Jr. Martin and Marc Savoy, Karl deserves a responsive post, and little has been presented in the 18 back-and-forths that followed his simple inquiry.

Although the box is no longer on eBay, it looks 10+ years old to me, and at $1500 might be OK, but at $1950 too high. Being in Canada, it may have musette or light musette tuning. If you can't hold and play the accordion, you must place a great deal of faith in the seller. As the saying goes, "If ye know not diamonds, know thy jeweler."

Nedro

P.S. I met Marc at his shop back in April and he was very cordial.

I'm glad to know that I am not the only one to start crap on this forum. Who says one accordion is better that the other. Sound, weight, reeds, bellow or maker. All these guys learned a skill of making accordions. Some do it full time, some do it part time. Who's really to say one is a better maker? They all get reeds, bellow, straps and hardware from each other. I've been to both shops and are seemingly nice people. Martin's seems to be a mass productions while Marc seems a little personalized. All learned from one another or destroying a Hohner to get the pattern down. Anyway, they have been in business for years and most buyers seems happy. If the product was junk they would have flopped years ago. Why you think there is Coke and Pepsi, Ford and Chevy, or McDonald's and Burger King? Not everyone has the same taste. So don't bash one for the other. Be civil and can't we just all get along?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!