Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Castagnari Accordeon/Melodeon

I believe I have some photos of the innards and outtards....

I'll check.

I sold my Castagnaris in C and now have one in D.

Quite different than most other one rows.

I have only tried out Castagnari single row accordions for a short time at a shop - one in Montreal, and another in LA.

They weren't particularly "Cajun", but, as with all Castagnari accordions, they were truly superior instruments in every way. Fit, finish, action, tone - everything was a cut above.

Since Castagnari are normally custom built, I wonder if they would make the tuning more Cajun-y? I suspect and hope they would do so.

I just wish I could afford one of their triple row accordions.

Every instrument is "custom" made one at a time.

The three row, even the "bottom of the line" Handry is a work of art.
I have not owned one, but I have owned a 2 1/2 row Mory model 12 bass.
as well as several 2 rows and 3 one rows.

There is nothing like a Castagnari. (including the awkwardly placed air button)

I would not have Castagnari tune one of their one rows "cajun" they are clueless... get one, and have someone else tune it.. Moreau or LaFleur
and the real advantage here.. REMOVEABLE REED BLOCKS.

Mr. LaFleur... if you are willing to expend the funds for shipping and insurance, I'll send you my Castagnari so you can get a first hand look.

I will extend this offer to Jude Moreau as well. My two favored builders in the US.

I played two for years and I still have my D. These Castagnari accordions are very good and also build with craftmansship.I also let them retuned to a Cajun - tuning. I changed to a Junior Martin(C) and a Falcon(D)because I have the opportunity to buy them here in Europe. The sound of the LA-built accordions is different, because of the position of the reeds. That was discussed earlier here.
Evil Emil from Sweden plays on Castagnari with an internal mike .

Thinking REAL hard about that off, Jeff.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!