Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Button Vs. Piano

No .. You cannot play in all keys on a Cajun accordion.

The instrument scale is diatonic (do, re mi, etc. .. no accidentals available in its resident key). The tuning scheme is similar to a blues harp (harmonica) and that’s why the blues guys will sport numerous harps in a gig.

On a “C” accordion (the most popular key) it’s equivalent to playing on the white keys on a piano.
This mean you can play in “C”, and also in “G”, but you get a flatted 7th in “G” (good for blues). You can also play in D minor and “F” if you’re really good (No “B flat” note available though).

The instrument is also bisonoric meaning: if you hold a button and push the bellows, you get one pitch. While holding the same button and pulling the bellows, you get a different pitch.

(I understand that the serious accordion competitors in Europe always use multi row bisonoric accordions because they are so much “faster” than piano accordions.)

And, the octave reach is very close as compare to that of a piano accordion.

And, the tuning is slightly different. The accordion techs can tell you precisely what is unique about the tuning, but a couple pitches of the scale are deliberately altered in order to make the instrument “growl”.. Which it certainly does.

It is a very loud lead instrument.. much punchier than a piano accordion.

There are numerous techniques of playing the instrument that exploit these "features". These techniques can be emulated on a piano accordion if you really know what you’re doing (as does Chris Miller) but this is no place to start if learning the Cajun Accordion.

You may want to check out this free webpage for additional information:

http://www.bignick.net/BoxLessons/boxlesson_Index.htm

--Biggy

So if the tune is in E for example; I just go out and get blasted at the bar?

Yes, the keys are limited on a Cajun box. But when playing Cajun music that doesn't matter at all, because the entire repertoire evolved around the use of C and D accordions. In Zydeco, Bb is also very commonly used.

Most players perform with at least 2 different key accordions and sometimes more. Lately, I have been bringing a Bb and C accordion to gigs, as well as the F-Bb-Eb triple row. Between those three accordions, I can cover a lot of different keys.

I have heard people attempt to play Cajun music on a piano accordion, and it just never sounds right to me. I agree with what others have said that if you work at it really hard, you can emulate the style reasonably well, but why work that hard when there is a much simpler solution: use a Cajun accordion to play Cajun music.

Simple.

Well David,
Thank You very much for Your time on this issue.
I travel to New Orleans a couple of times a Year and it's bout the only place I get to hear this style live.
The general consensus of opinion seems to be in agreement with You.
I am a guitarist and the layout on the Piano just seemed to be more adaptable to Me.
Where is
your locale by the way; I'm in New Jersey.

I was originally a bass player and guitar player. I still play bass in zydeco bands now and then, but now mostly playing accordion as much as I can.

I am in S. Cal.

Gigging tonight in San Diego at Tio Leo's!

Do You know Otono Lujan?

Yes, I am acquainted with him. He is a very accomplished triple row player. I haven't seen him in some time though. I tried to offer him a gig at our local Zydeco dance hall, but I never heard back from him. I should ping him again.

He's a very decent Cat!!!
He called Me personally to give Me advise on buying a Panther.

Listen to a little of early Clifton Chenier. May open your eyes (ears)

Clifton's skill on the piano accordion is legendary.

But, he played Zydeco, not Cajun.

I understand perfectly and am very fimilar with his music. I think he should still listen to some early Chenier so that he will be able hear the possibilities of the piano accordion.

Several years ago while exhibiting in Montmagny Quebec we went to a concert there and heard a band from Beaumont Texas playing cajun on the piano accordion. It was a four reed instrument and specially tuned and while not authenic they had the technique down pat. Sounded very, very cajun. But then, I like the sound of all accordions.

Yes, but this thread is about answering the following question:

"Is there any advantage to a "Button" Accordian for this style."

The answer of course is a resounding YES.

My comments have been with regard to the original question.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!