Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Playing style/technique

I'd need to listen to Octa's version in order to tell you for sure ..

Frequently, these B-Part get amped-up in rhythm. So, there may
be many more single notes than octaves in the B-Part for the sake of
speed.

However, it is very common to combine the two techniques, i.e., the
octaves will feature the anchor and numerous notes between the octaves
get interspersed. Make any sense?

--bn

Nick, I have an mp3 file of the recording, though don't know how to put it on this site. I can email it to if you'd like. I wasn't able to find it on YouTube.

I understand your point, and when I first heard it, I figured that Octa plays so fast it must be single notes. But after learning the single note version, I experimented with octaves, and surprisingly, it's not that much more difficult, and in fact, for certain sections, even easier. For me, the trick with octaves is to keep the pinky finger down on the high note, while tapping on the lower note with my index finger. For me, there are only a couple places in the passage where the octave approach is more difficult than with single notes. From the sound of it, my gut feeling is that he's doing what you're suggesting, playing a lot of octaves, but not exclusively so.

Tom

I don't have anything to comment on the actual subject as I am a newbie, but I wanted to mention if you wanted share a file, you can upload it to somewhere like wetransfer.com or sendspace.com - and then just post the download link here.

The tune may be on "hadacallit something" page?

Re: Playing style/technique - download here

Thanks Bill for the tip. I was reluctant to do that because of copyright, but I think I myself got it from Hadacol or someplace like that. The link is to WeTransfer below, "Link #2."

Tom

ttonon
Thanks Bill for the tip. I was reluctant to do that because of copyright, but I think I myself got it from Hadacol or someplace like that. The link is to WeTransfer below, "Link #2."

Tom

No problem! The other good thing about wetransfer.com is they delete the file after two weeks.

I believe it's all in how you're feeling in it. I personally like a pretty even balance (if that's possible) of chords, single notes, octaves and embellishments. At least that's what I strive for. Single note playing is probably a weaker point in my playing, but it gets better every year.

PS: I've got 13,992 views (since 2010) on a youtube vid, of me playing Cajun accordion... qualify for the bending note set up? Compared to 2416 hits of Dirk playing your bending note accordion (since 2008), I'd say you might have a better chance of getting interest here.

I could push your creation to the max, promoting it in any way possible. Once I'd get the hang of it, I could make multiple videos.

And I dang well would master it; I have not doubt. I've come a long way since I met you about a decade ago.

If you're interested email me jimpettijohnATcomcast.net

Don't admit to copyright violations big bad copper Jerry Moody keeper of the rights will jump on you!!!!!!!!!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!