Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How best to spend $2,000?

Jamey its not a Martin but **** that's a good price for a Falcon!!!!!

I find that one's patience is a big factor. Lead time can be anywhere from 2 weeks (rare) to 6 months if you're taking a place in line.

Instant gratification in Cajun accordions may require a temporary compromise. If you have to wait a long time, you may lose some enthusiasm, so you need to get something in your hands. You can always sell and swap later, but you shouldn't waste the time at hand.

Play me something, Mister - now!

Point well taken. Any requests? :)

There is probably not one accordion builder in Louisiana or Texas who makes a truly inferior box, so it comes down to who do you want to do business with.
Bill Rosenthal, the accordion player in our band, has a Leland Cooligan box in "D" that he has really given a work-out over the years. Bryan Lefleur just got through doing a great tune-up on this instrument, and everybody in the band was impressed with the improved sound and the fact that Bill didn't have to pump so hard anymore. Bryan also did a tune-up on my "C" & "D" that were made by Danny Dysen when he was still building. Improved sound quality, especially on the D. I also played on one of Bryan's instruments the last time I was at Balfs Cmp, and it sounded great and was easy to play. Knowing Bryan as an honest craftsman and a just plain good guy, he would be my first recommendation to you.

JB

If you have definitely decided to acquire a premier accordion, the Falcon that Mr James Hall is offering would be hard to pass up, especially since you have that 2K figure pretty well locked in.
Having played a couple of Falcons in the past, I find that they seem to use a minimum of air to get a great sound. Bill Rosenthal, the previously mentioned accordion player in my band, had a Falcon for quite a while before he sold it to a mutual friend of ours who only collects Cajun accordions
That way, you would be gaining instant gratification with a great box, Jamey would have to plant fewer shrubs for a week or two, and like Ned said, you would keep your enthusiasm up.
My dos centavos.
JB

Thanks JB! And don't forget, I'll double your commission if you can find me some used, green seersucker jumpsuits in a 44T . . .

Man! I have never participated in such a responsive and considerate forum! You guys are some fine folks! Which should not surprise me as that is just about the only kind of folks I have come across since becoming involved in Cajun music. Thank you for your advice and I have emailed Jamey. I hope to shake all ya'lls hands one of these days. :)

Hi,If you can 2 more weeks I will have a Cajun accordion a black stain in the key of (C) with Benci reeds and Italian bellow with 17 folds that they sent to me by mistake not galassi bellow. My price is $1,400.00 plus shipping the price of United Parcel Post.IF interested call me at 337-684-6495. I can explain better by phone.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!