Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Best place to buy 5 cajun accordions in D

Caroline what does inexpensive mean in Canada? can this be quantified?

They were hoping to get them for $400 CAD. I understand that this means a cheap Chinese instrument, but it is what they are looking for. I have suggested the Hohner 114, but it might be above their price point. Keep in mind that shipping will almost double the cost of the instrument in this particular case.

Have you checked in Toronto with Music Instruments of Canada aka Accordions of Canada : www.accordionscanada.com There is another big accordion store in Montreal, I don't remember the name.
The initial price might be higher if you buy in Canada but that will be offset by the high shipping costs and the duty you will pay as they go through customs. The only inexpensive one row that fits your bill is the Hohner Arriete. You would be better off with the Hohner 114 if you can swing it. Good luck.

Buy 2 114s and let them share. You have to change the thumb strap on those.

Try Greg Mouton in Crowley. I played an Arriette he had tweaked and it was very playable and did not leak any air. I don't know if he does this regularly, but I was impressed that my student could purchase this accordion for around the price you are wanting. This same student earlier had a factory Arriette that was really IMPOSSIBLE to play. I think it should be against the law to put out an "instrument" that was virtually not playable. But the one from Greg's shop was night and day better. Whatever the case, I strongly suggest NOT ARRIETTE directly from factory--they would be better off buying the First Act little eight Button Diatonic Accordion from Walmart...no joke!

I agree with Chris Miller. When I first started playing it was on an Arriette which was pretty much unplayable. I had Leland Colligan do some work on it and change the thumb strap / retune it. After that it had zero air leaks and was actually very comfortable and easy to play. I still have that accordion and my son is learning on it now.

Other than that stay away from those Arriette's!

I also agree with getting one from Greg Mouton. Not wanting to spend over $2000 for a nice handmade for my experiment in learning to play Cajun accordion, I have been teaching myself to play for the past 18 months on one of his beginner C accordions, looks very plain but without the Ariette name on it. It has served me well, and I am now ready for a REAL handmade C box ... Getting my Acadian next month, being shipped to me in Anchorage, AK.
Eric (fiddle for 15 years, now expanding my love for this music!)

Re: Cheap

If "cheap" is more important than quality, there are some regular sellers of ~$200-250 range on ebay. They are really poor quality instruments sold under names like "Morelli".

But they might last one school season.

Good luck,
Regards,

DP

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!