Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: falling stop

One of the least invasive ways I've seen some accordion makers fix a falling stop is with a small amount of melted reed wax placed above the stop block on the inside corner of the faceplate.

With the treble side removed from the bellows and while the loose stop is in the down position place the melted wax in the corner where the faceplate meets the top block of wood so that when the stop is pulled back up into the open position it sticks to the hardening wax and creates a lot of resistance which in turn prevents the loose stop from falling back down. Just use a very small amount of wax so you don't cause a mess.

Hope that makes sense.

John

I usually use wax around the rod where it screws into the stop block, thinking that if the rod is loose in the frame hole, it's probably leaking air. I also have smeared a little on the slide itself, and glued a thin ship behind the slide to give some friction.

I used a low-tech solution. I cut a shim out of a plastic milk jug and slipped behind the little wooden block inside.

Absolutely no lacquers, f.i. nailpolish stuff has prety nasty solvents ... wax the axle a little, or use something removable like rubber band, a plastic collar made from an old ballpoint pen or clothes pin below the stop to keep it up ... Nout

Thanks everyone.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!