Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: cajun accordion

Both sound like Chinese instruments rebranded with more American or European names for the sake of increased sales. Not really worth it in my opinion.

Being in Scotland I would also recommend that you also join the melodeon.net forum and see if anyone has a one row four stop Hohner or Weltmeister in the key of C that they would be willing to sell. I think a majority of the accordion players on that board are based out of the UK. Just make sure you let them know you'd be using it for Cajun music.

John

Kiser
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AUTHENTIC-BLACK-C-KEY-CAJUN-ACCORDION-FREE-SHIPPING-/151047470396?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232b217d3c#ht_668wt_982

This is a cheap chinese accordion sold by someone that knows nothing about accordions. (I would be wary of this accordion and seller.)

STEPHANELLI
http://scotlandaccordions.co.uk/NEW%20STEPHANELLI%20CAJUN%20BUTTON%20ACCORDION%20C%20tuned

Also a cheap chinese accordion this is as bad or worse than the Kiser and way over priced at ~$800

If you have $800 to spend, I think there may be better choices, like the Gabinelli "Cajun King"

One man's oppinion
I hope this helps,
DP

hi there, thanks for your honest opinion, i can see as a beginner and in a country with not a lot of choice in cajun accordions i will have a problem with my selection, but will keep trying and also take on board good advice from people like yourself, will take a look for "cajun king". the problem i have purchasing from u.s.a. is the price of postage and import duty, on the KISER i mentioned there was also $41 postage and $90 import duty, thanks again john

I am glad you have Big Nick's DVDs. They are very well produced and you will learn to play both melody and bass in short order. As for a box, please, please stay away from anything made in China. You will regret it. They are poorly made with cheap reeds which will make playing a chore and you will tire of it quickly. Look for a used Weltmeister Cajun or a Gabanelli Cajun King. Both are good for beginners. I had a Cajun King and liked it very much. It is a good accordion for the money. There should be plenty of Weltmeister dealers in your country and a new one should go for around $1000 to $1200 USD. A new Gabbanelli goes for around $1000 USD. Check eBay as well as I have seen Weltmeister and Gabbanelli listed for sale at a good price. Good luck and welcome to the group.

hi dana, appreciate your honesty, i will have a look at weitmeister to see if they have anything in uk, will also look at ebay usa, only problem is the postal and import charges, the import charges are horrendous, thanks for your input john

You might want to try eBay UK. Also try this link: http://forum.melodeon.net/ This is a very active message board with many members from all over the world. I believe it is based in the UK and there is a for sale section. Another box to look for is a German built Hohner 114. These are popular with beginners and are affordable. Good hunting.

john semple
hi there, new to the discussion group, my name is john and i am from scotland, have loved cajun music for a long time now, moreso the cajun accordion, i have decided to purchase a cajun accordion and beginners dvd, the dvd from big nick, unfortunately cajun music is not the most popular in scotland and i am having a problem trying to locate a half decent accordion, as you will appreciate i don't want to spend a fortune on one just in case i decide i can't handle the practising and throw in the towel, i would appreciate anyone's opinion on 2 that i can buy in scotland, the 1st one is from ebay, the name is KISER, seemingly it is made in texas, the 2nd one is STEPHANELLI, this one is more expensive than the kiser, i have mailed big nick and he hasn't heard of any of them, would appreciate any input, these are not nearly as expensive as the ones from louisiana, but i only want something at this stage to practice with, the KISER is approx $500, the STEPHANELLI is approx $800

I bought a kiser & am totally blown away by the power they have. They are obviously made in the same factory as hohner cajuns, wieltmiesters & kings. Their reeds are made in germany & produce an awesome sound & are guaranteed for 5 yrs. The sound they produce is first class & good enough for professionals to work with. They don't have any name printed on them & this is probably why they are selling cheap, because the middle man has been cut out. Sound wise they are perfect & I can't fault them. I've been playing it real hard & it delivers every time.

I did want to get an accordion from Louisiana but they're probably not going to sound any better than this & cost 10 time more

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!