Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: elbow pain from accordion?

I don't see any connection. The force comes from the left arm that powers the bellow. All the right arm should do, is providing counter pressure. Or am I wrong here? Just relax, and let your left arm do the hard work, i.e. pushing and pulling. And make sure that you don't get pain in your left elbow!! ((which would make more sense to me) Good luck !

What I have now (again) , is a trigger finger (left hand, middle finger).
So I quit fiddle and banjo for a while and returned to the CA !!
The only instrument where I don't have to use it.

None of y'all is lubricating your right (and left) elbow up enough prior to playing. I recommend at least a couple or three shots of Crown Royale followed by a half six-pack of Shiner Bock. Play the accordion, strapless, standing up, for about 10 minutes immediately after lubrication. Then either sit down or lie down, and play. All pain will blissfully dissolve away. If it don't, Hell, just quit for a while and play the guitar and sing.
This is supposed to be fun, not painful.
JB

Try playing your accordion through a guitar amp...set the gain mid-way.
I guarantee you'll put in about 30% of the effort on the accordion to get a decent sound level compared to acoustic only pumping.

Make the amp do all the work, then you can concentrate on things like minimal bellows action..if you start pumping the accordion too hard you'll blow your ear drums and maybe the amp !!.
IMHO same applies to guitar...I've found I play much better playing my acoustic/electrics through an amp....seems like I can concentrate more on technique, embellishments, etc.

BTW. My shoulders are shot from arthritic clavicle progression and bursitis..about to go for right shoulder operation. Left side was done a year or so ago. Surgeon says something like..'stay away from those ****ed accordions'.LOL

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!