Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wood swelling

Hello all,

I have a single-row, built in Louisiana (where you'd think they would allow for humidity affecting wood parts!), about 2 1/2 years old. Besides the other issues I've had to pay to have repaired since buying this accordion new now there is a problem with the wood treble levers swelling and rubbing in the slots on the keyboard. It appears the wood lever is rubbing both sides of the lever part that holds the treble button. I hope this all makes sense.

I have considered pulling the axle on which all the levers/keys pivot. Then I would be able to lightly sand all wood parts to allow for any future expansion. Any warnings about this procedure? Advice on the best way to remove the axle? Or, is there a wood-to-wood lubricant which will help alleviate the problem?

Thanks for any help.

(And, if you send me a personal email I'll tell you which builder in LA you should avoid.)

Ken

Re: wood swelling

Ken, it's hard to do online, give me a call at 972 979 1245 and I'll walk you through your options.

Howards wood wax worked for me.

Update: after reading the suggestions and talking with Bryan and having him guide me-step-by-step through the repair process I spent time last night attending to the box and Voila! Problem solved! I methodically disassembled the box, removed the axle cap, carefully removed the springs (I know I'll find the one that shot off somewhere into the basement...) and secured them to a piece of tape and numbered their positions for the re-assembly. I carefully pulled the axle from the slot then was able to maneuver the rockers up and down enough to be able to have access to the pivot holes. Most were fine. The 5 and 6 holes needed to be opened just a little. Then with my jewelry-making tools and files I carefully sanded both sides ot the rockers on all the keys. Still, the #6 was sticking. I then gently filed the interior slots and was happy to see that ll the rockers moved easily.

I wiped down the axle, applied a very light coating of Slideez to it and threaded it back through the pivot holes in the rockers. I found that the builder had left his mistakes and first attempts as there were two rockers with double-drilled holes but once lined up there was no problem with re-assembly.

Re-attached the springs, put the box back together and entertained the crickets after midnight. If anything, and I may be imagining this, but I think it plays better than before. The box, not me.

So, after all this I have to say that, even though I have been annoyed by the construction quality of this accordion, I am thoroughly impressed by the amount of work that has to be done to construct one of these melodeons. There are many steps in the process and elements in the design and it takes a careful and diligent and fastidious person to be able to perfect, or come close to perfecting, each part of the build. My compliments to all who have taken up the challenge to build or even have attempted to build one of these beasts. And, especially thanks to Bryan LaFleur for taking the time to help. If any of you don't know by now, he builds wonderful accordions. I've had the chance to play only one but it was a joy. Like butter...

ken

Well done!

Well done! Sometimes, figuring out the nature of the beast yourself, with some guidance, is far better than spending 30-50 dollars shipping it to be repaired. And much more rewarding. In fact, trial and error (they go hand in hand), made me want to play more. Repair and tuning boosted my desire to play.

Glad you got a hold of Bryan, too. His love of building accordions has built a framework of knowledge.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!