Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Les Haricot Sont Pas Sale

Here's what I've whipped up for Jamey ..

Re: Les Haricot Sont Pas Sale

Awesome, Tom, and many thanks! I'm going to be studying the heck out of that video!

Nice to see you back, my friend.

I hoping we could have heard from Chirs Miller on this song. Chris, you there? Would you mind? Purdy pleezzz...

I think everyone's waiting on you, Jon.

Well, I tried waiting for Jon, but I wasn't getting any younger . . .

I finally figured out some of the notes Aldus was playing; now I just need to learn how to breathe life into them (and add salt, plus a few other seasonings); but if we had to wait for that, this might turn into "Tune of the Decade" instead of Tune of the Month. Even so, I have to say that I think it's hands down the second best one posted so far . . . Here goes nothing:

OK, this ain't very clean, but I'm kicking it out the door anyway. I gotta get back to some Cajun music.

If the imbed doesn't work, use Link #2.

Way to go, Nedro! IMO, this is a relatively hard song (if you don't believe it, just ask Jon Melancon!), especially for us non-Cajuns, and especially if you haven't been playing a long time. If I'm not mistaken, aren't you somewhere around the 2-year mark? That's a short time to handle a song like this, and you should be rightfully proud of your version!

And THAT is the spirit of the tune-of-the-month: we can't all be Chris Miller; in fact, only one of us can! But we can ALL make an effort, and by making that effort, learn something. You'll be surprised at what pops out, and how it positively affects your overall playing, ESPECIALLY a song that feels "alien".

Again, good show, Nedro!!!

You're obviously an over-a-Cheever . . . (apologies; I can resist anything but temptation)

I only posted this raggged attempt so I could make Melancon look good. Maybe this will boost his confidence enough to post up.

Nedro
I only posted this raggged attempt so I could make Melancon look good. Maybe this will boost his confidence enough to post up.

Here's a wonderful recording of Dewey Balfa and Robert Jardell doing this song although its mislabeled on the youtube video title.

Jon,

We showed you ours (in good faith, warts and all), but you showed us Robert's!

Nedro

Well done Nick!

Man Nick... you set the bar up pretty high.

John in Oregon

Nice work, Nick. Thanks for helping unravel the puzzle!

Jamey,

It's a cool song, but man... so foreign from what I've been working on and like Sevillana in Spain - it seems to have a whole culture built around it. I simply haven't been able to get wrapped around it. No standard version to latch onto.

We're rapidly approaching October. It'll be time for another song. A 2-step please? Maybe something relatively simple that folks can jump on board with?

Eunice 2-step.. Mamou 2-step.. Amede 2-step... Yeah.. done to death, but solid standards for sure. I'm sure somewhere that there is a reason they are played so much.

John in Oregon

No problem, John, and I know just what you mean. But I've been having fun working on this one. My helper (I most often play in the truck at work, on the way from one job to another) says it reminds him of a chicken chasing a grasshopper around the pen. I'm almost ready to record it, but there's one more section of Aldus Roger's version that I want to explore and flesh out first.

BTW, tune of the "month" was never meant to be a literal month; some tunes, like this one, just naturally take longer. But we'll do a "normal" 2-step next month. I won't say which one it is just yet, but it rhymes with Shamu 2-Step . . .

Don't give up on ZSPS! Part of the purpose of the TOTM is to stretch yourself.

Jamey,

I keep chasing these songs and never quite getting set to post a video, but, you're right -- the "stretch" is what makes it all worthwhile. I've experienced some significant progress by struggling with tunes I wouldn't normally otherwise entertain. New licks and new reach makes for better play.

If I ever get "good," I'll give you credit on the trailer, albeit in small print. :-)

Nedro

You're one of a kind, Nedro, and it's the good kind. And I think you already play amazingly well. Now if we can just get you into a jumpsuit . . . I would deserve major credit.

I'm going to try to post a version this weekend.

Well, even if I don't make progress on the tune of the month, it keeps me working on new stuff. This month has turned into Valse de Cherokee and Midland for me.

I'm looking forward to hearing your version.

John in Oregon

I made a recording driving back from Missouri today. But I need to get it on video . . .

Gee whizz! I hear some nice vatiations! especially later on in the tune. well done, BN!
If it wasn't for my (nowadays quite bad) tinnitus, I would grab that box and go to work at it. But I think I'll have to be VERY careful, if i don't want it to go from bad to worse. Maybe I'll put some earplugs in and give it a go. Anyway, good job !!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!