Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Black Pot Festival .. Who's been there?

Hello Braves,

I was kicking around attending the Black Pot Festival.

Have any of you attended in past years?

How did you enjoy it? (Or perhaps, not enjoy it?)

I'm seeking a little feedback!

Merci beaucoup,

--Big Nick

Re: Black Pot Festival .. Who's been there?

Black Pot is my favorite. Especially if you play music and plan on staying out there at night, because there are some really good jams and good musicians there to play with in the camping area.

We went last year. Wonderful food, great people and music everywhere. you will be in cajun music heaven.

Went to it last year and loved it. It's different than any other festival I've been to down in Cajunland. For one thing, there are a LOT of musicians there from outside the culture who are very good at other kinds of music, like Old Time and Bluegrass. Most of these are younger "hippyish" (I don't know what you call them now - the young, open-minded, informal, gypsy-like, bearded, hygenically casual, kids - but I like'em!). There is a veritable tent-city of these kids and Cajun kids (kids being anyone under 40, to me) mixed together, and pockets of late-night jamming all over the place. And I occasionally caught the pleasant aroma of something rather like burning rope and incense wafting through the night; I tried not to exhale . . .

And there are performing acts that AREN'T Cajun mixed into the stage schedule; even square dancing! Normally when I come to Louisiana, I'm coming for Cajun alone; I'm not interested in seeing Blues, Country, Bluegrass, Old Time, or anything else; but in this venue, it seems okay. Even makes the Cajun more refreshing and exciting by contrast, as opposed to say, Festival Acadiens, where you see, hear, breathe, eat and are marinated in so much incredible Cajun music that by the end of the day you're almost overloaded with Cajun (I say "almost" - I still freaking love it at the end of the day, I'm just worn out).

Caveat: I went last year for the first time, which may have been an atypical year: since Jesse Lege got married at the Festival, there were a lot of really cool people down from New York, like Roger Weiss, Tim Kness, and Lauren Droll, that might not normally come; I dunno.

In the final analysis, I think you should go, Tom, and see for yourself. I think you'd have a good time. And because I'm going - I hope to see you and play/visit with you there!

But then Jamie also likes taco sisters

****ed skippy! Love them fish tacos!

Taco Sisters has excellent food.

Was a joke for Jamey, Melancon get your thong bunch out of your ass

???

It's an awesome festival if you can tolerate tent camping or have an RV. (If you need a room, I'd suggest the Executive Suites as being the closest.) But then you miss out on the all night music. Lots of Fusion music! I'm heading back for my fourth trip.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!