Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: FF//motordude special

Sorry - I didn't explain myself very well at all.

Where I was coming from with the "why bother" is predicated on the notion that when a zydeco accordion player plays button accordions rather than piano accordions, it it pretty normal to play both the single and triple row.

I know that is not always the case, but it is the most common case by far. There are very few zydeco bands that only have the single row accordion. Let's rattle off some names that always have both:

Keith Frank
Chris Ardoin
Step Rideau
Beau Jocque (RIP)
Boozoo (RIP)
Brian Jack

I am racking my brains to think of a big name zydeco band that only has the single row accordion. Can't think of a single one off the top of my head. I am sure they are there...

Anyway, if you have a triple row and single row, why bother using the single row for a song that clearly benefits from the use of the triple row? Motor Dude is one of those songs.

Having said that, if a song can be played well on a single row, that is ALWAYS my first preference. The vibe of a single row is so cool that I always use it when I can. But, I need the triple row to change things up.

Re: FF//motordude special//doing so many other things wrong

dave
you are right

i didn;t want to wait til i was perfect though
i do that all the time
i wanted the band to go ahead and start playing
all i wanted was to be good enough to that unembarassingly

people were begging me to get out and do it
it was 2000
height of the trend or something

so i said ok then, we can all learn together

now i have a decentish triple and play the stuff that is supposed to be played on it, on it

and more

songs that werent zydeco to begin with, usually need something more chromatic than a single row

but motordude, i like the way it sounds on single so i just kept it

i converted a couple others over to the right accordion
i used to play silly pudding on single
which was silly :)

i was doing so many other things wrong or the easy way or the ''don;t know any better'' way, that one more didn;t really matter :)

wle

Hey Larry!
Had a session this week working on 'my little little dog' in F on C box, worked closely with with the album track- just about got it- but noticed alot of blends in Delafose's playing and a lot of basses going that made me think that he is perhaps playing it in 2nd posistion on a Bb box. David Sousa was suggesting 'why you wanna make me cry' in F on a C box to match the key of the original, so I'm wondering if you were suggesting a similar exercise with 'my little dog'?
Must admit that its more important to me to play these songs in the right posistion than the right key at this stage. I do have an old hohner Bb honey presswood but just 2 voice, I play around with this occasionally but at some point plan to get some more Bb reeds and get them all fitted into a spare unplayable welty I have but for now its my good C welty and a one off homemade handmade [well made] in D that i'm limited to playing, its mostly cajun and creole stuff I practice but I do love the zydeco.
'Paper in my shoe' is the 3row tune I'm trying to nail on 1row and I was really inspired by the Finn who posts on here doing Cheniers 'I'm comin home' on the 1row.
Anyway would appreciate it if you could confirm which posistion 'my little dog' is played in, regardless of key. Thanks for your help.

Hey Larry!
Had a session this week working on 'my little little dog' in F on C box, worked closely with with the album track- just about got it- but noticed alot of blends in Delafose's playing and a lot of basses going that made me think that he is perhaps playing it in 2nd posistion on a Bb box.

==oh
yes he is
that is the original way to play it and the way 90% of zydeco is played

David Sousa was suggesting 'why you wanna make me cry' in F on a C box to match the key of the original, so I'm wondering if you were suggesting a similar exercise with 'my little dog'?

==no, i was suggesting it as a challenge
because it is wrong - it is a challenge
and you will learn more about 3rd position and the instrument in general than playing yet another song that is in fact easy in 2nd position

Must admit that its more important to me to play these songs in the right posistion than the right key at this stage.

==oh
sure
for me it was more important just to play them at all

on 1row and I was really inspired by the Finn who posts on here doing Cheniers 'I'm comin home' on the 1row.

== i play that on one row
creole zydeco farmers did it that way
i think maybe beau jocque also but not really sure

Anyway would appreciate it if you could confirm which posistion 'my little dog' is played in, regardless of key.

--usually it is in 2nd position

wle

Re: FF

One of the most popular single row Zydeco songs of all time is "Why You Wanna Make Me Cry". If played on a C accordion, it would be in the key of F.

Re: FF

true
i forgot that one

great song
keith frank/live at slims y ki ki/ great version

wle

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!