Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ned's and Jamey's Zydeco Sont Pas Sales

Maybe nobody saw them because they were at the end of Big Nick's thread, or maybe they just sucked and everyone just politely ignored them, but Nedro and I also did versions of the tune of the month. They won't look like much after Chris golden version, but by golly, we each DID one, so on the chance that you never saw them, here they are, first Ned's:

then mine:

so there.

Re: Ned's and Jamey's Zydeco Sont Pas Sales

Hat's off to both of you. Ned, you've made a heck of a lot of progress since I last saw you.

Bryan,

You bet I've made some progress. I'm opening for Chris Miller now!

Nedro

I enjoyed both of these versions and definitely think that there is something to be learned from both of them. I wish more folks had posted something because I always learn something from the "tune of the month" exercise. Thanks Jamey and Ned! Jamey--I could really tell that you carefully studied Aldus' version. You did a nice job of getting the major elements in! Ned-it seemed like you listened to the Steve Riley version--or someone who learned from the Steve Riley version. It was cool to see two different approaches on the same song.

Big Nick had an excellent version posted early on and the I think that it is a very clear and direct example of the main elements of the song. It is a good one to learn from-besides the Aldus version, of course--but there is no video of Aldus that I am aware of. I'm still learning, y'all!

Thanks for checking in and checking on our versions, Chris; comments and encouragement from you mean a lot! It's also nice to be reminded that even as skilled and as masterful as you are, you're still learning, too. Puts us all in the same boat - you're just sitting a little closer to the front! Okay, well, maybe a LOT closer . . . smiles.

Chris,

It was fun researching this one, but sometimes frustrating, because everybody seems to take a wild swing at it. I liked Steve Riley's, but couldn't mimic him, so I trimmed it to fit my fingers! Also used Ambrose Thibodeaux and Austin Pitre's simpler tune for a turn.

Your presentation seems to consolidate the best of everything, particulary filling the holes. Thanks for the lesson!

I know someone that has an old VHS of Aldus (when he was older) playing Zydeco Sont Pas Sales. It's definitely not Aldus as his best and Johnny Sonnier is making it a point to scream the call and response part in Aldus's ear instead of into a mic but its still a cool little video. Hopefully he'll get around to digitizing it sometime.

John

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!