Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cajun Country and Western

More of a "swamp pop" song than c-w, but I have always liked Joe Bonsall doing Bobby Charles' tune Your Picture. In fact, check out Joe Bonsall's catalog for this kind of thing. He does a hilarious Bad Bad Leroy Brown.

Check out Blackie Forrestier doing Them Old Cotton Fields Back Home

Nathan Abshire doing Crazy Arms (Dreamer's Walt)

Lee Sonnier, Along the River (Hank Williams' On the Banks of the Old Ponchartrain) Website link #1

Robert Bertrand and Joel Sonnier, Memphis, Website link #2

Nathan Abshire, Tramp of the Street, Website link #3

Mamou Cajun Band, Tous les Soirs (from Johnny and Jack's My Conscience is Clear, What about You?, http://npmusic.org/TousLesSoirs.mp3

Joe Falcon, Raise Your Window High, http://npmusic.org/Cleoma_Breaux_Raise_Your_Window_High.mp3

Cleoma Breaux, Catahoula Stomp (I Don't Want YOur Greenback Dollar), http://npmusic.org/Joe_Falcon_Cleoma_Breaux_Falcon_Catahoula_Stomp.mp3

Diggy Liggy Lo

If you want Country with a Cajun twist listen to the Moe-D Band's TOO album. Those Cajun guys with some Nashville experience, I'm told, really rip it up. eg. the Buck Owens song " Love's Gonna Live Here Again '.
There are some excellent options already posted here but I guess I'm looking at it that you want country for the Texans but with a healthy dose of Cajun to complement any Telecaster twang..maybe I'm wrong? Should be a great formula. It's what our band here in Australia has been doing for 10 years and we ALWAYS fill dance floors.

BLUES DE SOULARD & BLUES DE TAC TAC are not two steps. I think in the old days they would call them "slow drags". But a lot of blues songs in the cajun repertoire go well with a dance called the West Coast Swing which is a country style of dance. And I know there are plenty folks in Texas who are familiar with this type of dance. Pine Grove Blues is an excellent song to West Coast Swing to.

There are several musicians from southeast Lousiana[Lafourche-Terrebonne area]that did great country music in french. Vin Bruce, L J Foret, and Gene Rodrigue have made numerous records in french in a acountry-western style.

Around Lafayette, Alex Broussard , Happy Fats, and Doc Guidry did country style d songs back in the 50's and 60's. During the 30's and 40's, theere were many string bands in south Louisiana. Neal has most of these records on his website. Some of the newer bands such as the Red Stick Ramblers have redone these songs very well.

Speaking of string bands, I LOVE me some Harry Choates!

Gentlemen,

thank y'all for the great suggestions!

Lot to chose from.

See some of you at FA&C

JB

Robert, would you email me please? I want to talk some "LeBlanc."

Not exactly what you need, but... French + C&W =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOhXBxXelzU

"Fume Fume Fume Ta Cigarette" (Smoke, Smoke, Smoke That Cigarette) by Harrison Fontenot. And I don't think I saw "Cinquante Piastres" by Joe Warren Cormier mentioned here.

Harrison Fontenot recorded almost all the popular country songs of his day, not sure how many were put onto record, though. I love his Fume Ta Cigarette, and was one of the first songs I learned to play on accordion. Another great one of his is "May You Never Be Alone Like Me", which fits perfectly as a beautiful Cajun waltz.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!