Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Amedee Ardoin Revisited

Peer
Anybody has an idea what he is singing? I understand only bits & pieces... a hearing problem.

Et tu vois plus clair non plus ? ("Ô, vieillesse ennemie..." )
C'est ici : http://www.cajunlyrics.com/?lyrics=133

Christian, tu as raison: je ne vois plus bien. Je l'avais déja quelque part sur mon ordinateur .. Merci quand même.
aargh !! sacrée vieilesse!

I myself kept hearing licks that match up to Hey Madeline! I figured somebody made Madeline from hearing this song. Don't know. I have often wondered how many Cajun accordion players of the past, while trying to learn a master's version of a song ended up creating other new songs because they never could cut the mustard in successfully copying the masters techniques and sound.

If you are familiar with the "Hadacol It Something" website Bryan, you should go and look under "Angelas Lejeune" and listen to the MP3 named One Step a Cain(Crowley 2 Step). Listen to the turn! Unfreakinbelievable.

Very well acquainted with Hadacol, several years ago it opened up a whole new world for me. Love the style of some of those old players. It is pretty amazing listening to the technical skill of Amede and Angelas, knowing they didn't have much to go on in their learning. They were both incredible players. But it's always Amede's feel, that I can't really describe, that catches me.

I love this song and I'm sure I've worn a rut in my mp3 player with that album, but I'd personally like to see something a bit more mainstream and maybe easier.

The last 2 years at Balfa, a consistent source of angst for me is that I can play some oddities that nobody seems to play, but not the standards that everyone seems to know.

I'm sure that folks consider the Eunice 2-step, and the Mamou 2-step, and Les Flammes d'Enfer to be all worn out, but they're the standards for a reason. And I don't currently know any of them.

The song of the month is what really gets me rolling if I feel I can get wrapped around the song. Look back at the songs that get the most response. There is a consistent theme.

John in Oregon

Point taken, John! Look for a new song this weekend . . .

By "Choupic Two Step", do you mean this one?

Well what do you know! The A part of Amedee's Two Step (the melody) is done very much like the A part of the Choupic! Nathan Abshire's version of "The Pic" is done with a "C" accordion so you can at least learn Amedee's melody with a "C" accordion now.

But that turn of Nathan's is not like Amedee's turn, NO SIR-ee-Bob it ain't!

Sorry for causing so much angst. I really don't think this is a good choice for song of the month either. As little as I come on here, I'm not sure about what all goes into a "song of the month", but I'm sure it gets picked apart clean in most cases. I think it is more of a song that you take on your own and learn it in your own time. To learn it, you must leave the well worn path. It was that "tempo" that I was interested in and thought maybe others would be too. When you learn this song or a few others, ie:Jolie Catin(iry lejeune) in this tempo, it opens up a new world of Cajun accordion playing to you. At least it did for me anyways.

I guess Amedee is sort of like Iry, nice to listen to, but scares the living hell out of accordion players trying to play along with their recordings. You can't play along with those recordings. You have to listen to them and interpret them on your accordion. I say again.....interpret. Yeah, that's advanced, but for the beginner, put that in the back of (you) head for later when you're ready. One day maybe you will say ah haaaaa!

" Two-Step d'Amédé" and "Amédé Two-Step" are two different songs!

There's been some confusion here. Two-Step d'Amédé is an instrumental written by Marc Savoy and a completely different song than Ardoin's, Amédé Two-Step.

I know it's confusing, but even with the giant jump in playing style, you should be able to tell they're not related.

However, Amédé Two-Step (BY Amédé Ardoin), is similar to the song people know as The Choupique Two-Step.

I can say for certain that Marc Savoy's tune is much easier to follow than Ardoin's completely different entity! And they both tare their own songs to shreds. But, no matter how anyone tries, they're not going to figure out how to play like Ardoin. In fact, I've never heard anyone play like him.

If someone can point me in the direction of someone who can play like Améde, please do, because I've been searching.

Re: " Two-Step d'Amédé" and "Amédé Two-Step" are two different songs!

For what it's worth, on Marc Savoy's CD "Back to the Basics" the tune is titled "Amede's Two-Step." That adds a little definition to his song.

I find myself caught up in the confusion, because when you compare Amede Ardoin's songs with modern versions, some with differing titles, they simply aren't the same. Presently, I'm caught up in the "Eunice Two Step" which I had just about nailed, until I went back to the Amede Ardoin recording. Hmmm, reset required.

Flexible, free-style, undisciplined - call it what you want to, but this really makes it fun. If you can hack out a tune that's close, you get a passing grade. Every player can give it his own twist. After all, most of us can't all play like Amede Ardoin anyway.

What's most important: Arrette pas la musique!

Yes sir. The "old" Amadie Two Step and Choupique share the same melody line.
Savoy's Amedee is completely different. It's more an instrumental, while Ardoin's is also a song. (long notes for the singing, short "improvised"ones for the accordion part)
Maybe Savoy chose this name as a tribute to the old master? Anyway, he got a lot of people confused by doing so.
Playing like the old master takes a special study.
First, to sound like Ardoin you will have to speed things up! 102 beats per minute. Then, you have that special rhythm which is just slightly different, with a strong emphasis on the second beat. Add a lot of tricks, and a lot of intensity in both singing and playing. Finally, you will need someone who plays like Denus McGee (don't forget the fiddle player) and then you might make it sound like the old record.

I'm not sure if Marc got the idea for his Amedee 2 step from Amedee's song titled "Two-Step d'Amede? LOL, I know Marc made his version before youtube was born. I know Marc had a good bit of access to old recordings via Ann and his music store. The part that is similiar in both songs is the very beginning. Maybe he started out copying, then gave up and changed it. Don't know and don't want to argue. Marc's Amedee 2 step is a great tribute to Amedee though, can't argue with that. He often times comes up with songs and attributes them to personal friends and fellow musicians. My deceased mentor was afforded such a tribute by Mr Marc.

I heard an unconfirmed report that Marc titled his Amede Two Step as a tribute to one of his mentors, and not a relation to the one on Amede's recordings. I kinda doubt Amede called his song "Amede Two Step", anyway.

Now why i like trad Cajun music as well as Old time country tunes is the sheer variations of the "same" ole tune by different musicians. Fiddlers do a lot better at that me thinks. Sometimes you'll need to get to know a tune real well to realize it's uncle lives only two doors away. Example: i always liked an old soulful Leo Soileau song "Valse de Gueydan" years ago, and when i played the old LP recently i realised it was almost Jolie Blonde, call me stupid LOL - PS done this studio messing up 2 trad Cajun tunes with added new lyrics a while ago my self, sorry guys:

- Nout

I'm looking for the LIKE button...

alas on youtube there is ....

There is also this, link #2, one of my favorite videos. He comes pretty close, as well as a great version of La Porte De La Prison.

GREAT video, Bryan! I've seen it before, but forgot how good it was. Thanks for sharing it.

Yep, it is. Wish it was in sync

It's refreshing to hear a good player rush the tempo - something I do without even trying! :-)

Pretty sharp of you to pick up on that, Nedro.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!