Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Made domed brass buttons, check it out

I made these out of highly polished, brass 'screw caps'. They're glued to pieces of dowel, which were already there to being with. The 80's Acadian originally had some kind of chrome button covers on the dowel pieces when I got it. Something you'll probably never see on a Cajun accordion, anymore. Installing these brass caps was much harder than you'd think. I had to shape the pieces of dowel, drill holes in the centers, glue the caps in place, then glue the dowel pieces back onto the rockers. Centering these was a ****** I suppose each one took an average of an hour or more to put together, and install.

Bryan LaFleur pointed me in the direction of where he got parts to make brass bass buttons, and I originally had ordered 5/8" to make some bass buttons. They accidentally sent me 1/2", but I'm glad they did.

Now, if only I can find screws skinny enough to install some 5/8 bass buttons. These caps actually screw into the screw heads. Special screws are needed. But, the screws they sell for these caps are much too fat for the bass flapper holes (at least on every one of my accordions).

photo brassbuttoncaps_zpsebfec518.jpg

Re: Made domed brass buttons, check it out

Looks great, saw domed all metal chrome plated caps on a Bon Cajun once, Larry Miller told me that he had them specially made for a short period, and the were hand made by a local craftsman, felt great ...

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!